View Single Post
Old 07-28-2003, 10:10 AM   #14 (permalink)
kurty[B]
Sauce Puppet

A lot of my friends worked for MCI and Futurecall as telemarketers, and they were payed hourly (an alright hourly wage) and received bonuses and commissions.

Personally, I'm not a phone person, and well don't enjoy receiving unwanted calls in my evenings. But, at the same time I don't yell at telemarketers, or get angry with them, I've worked customer support and a job where you are on the phone, they're people too, and getting yelled at simply doesn't feel good, so I don't do it. I'll listen to what their shpeal, and they almost always have a pre-planned shpeal you can tell they're reading, or have memorized, then, when all is said and done, and they ask if I'm interested I say "No", then they continue with their arguments for why I need said product (example is my credit card company thinks I need Life Insurance really bad, they already have my credit card number, and just want a YES from me to charge me an extra $3.99 +whatever fees and whatnot they think of and blurt out quicker than my ears can perceive a month for something a single 20 year old with no dependents really needs). So, after they interject their points I say "No", and they go again, and I say "No" once more. My friends said that after three No's that's when they could end the call, and move on to the next person (rule given by the above companies), so, if after the third No the person keeps going I say "No, I'm not interested, please do not call back offering this again", and hang up. My credit card company still seems to think they need to call once a week offering me life insurance...

One time, the CC company telemarketer confused my "Yes, send me the information as a yes I want to sign up for the service", and they sent me to their whoever person to confirm the sale, and when I got to her she said "K, you get this this and this, and that we will go ahead and sign you up for this service", and I was like "No, I just wanted more information mailed to me, I didn't want to agree to anything over the phone." Apparently you had to get the service to get the information, I don't like this, I want to be able to read all the legal jargon and junk before I agree to something, and well I'm not the best listener in the world, and legal jargon being told to me sounds like a Charlie Brown teacher.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73