View Single Post
Old 07-17-2003, 09:53 PM   #9 (permalink)
tehblaed
Insane

Please note: If you are catholic or believe strongly in your religion and are not open to new ideas or opinions, this will offend you. Otherwise, read on.

The following text is basically a giant crapload of thoughts I have on religion. Enjoy.

I am 100% completely, pure atheist. I believe in no supernatural occurences: no ghosts, no spirits. There is no "soul" or "spirit", these are just fictionalized representations of your current personality. Personality does only exist in a living human brain, be it your brain (i.e. your own personality) or the brain of another human being (i.e. remembering how you used to be, or something). I am a scientist at heart and need proof for everything.

Funny, because my parents raised me Presbyterian. What's also humorous is that I got kicked out of Sunday School at their church (for telling the teacher she was lying!)

I guess what actually determines what religion you are is what other people label you as, and since all religions started out as one religion - basically traced back to Sumer and their king/gods - it doesn't really matter anyway.

Want to know what happens when you die? You rot. There you go. That's the answer. Your body rots, your brain rots, your eyes rot, your "soul" rots - since your brain is rotting, there is no soul. Soul is just another word for personality.

I believe the only reason religions still exist and thrive thoroughly is because people still need an excuse to get up off of their butts and do things. While I do agree that religion is a good way of motivating someone to do whatever (quit drugs, get good grades, stay chaste, etc), the motivation should come from within in the first place. There should be no reason to be unmotivated unless you are lazy and are frightened by the fact that when you die you will have things that you have not held responsibility for. Thus the reason for "forgiving" sins would be to remove personal liability for things you have done wrong.

I really really hate how everyone is so very polite to each other at Church, even though they may hate each other's guts. There is absolutely no reason to put on a show - if "God" could really judge you I bet he would be more pissed at you if you lied to yourself and others rather than just being honest.

Religion is all about motivation. I feel the reason I am atheist is because I have absolutely no reason to feel ashamed for anything I have ever done, nor do I lack any self respect or motivation. I get things done; I have never drank alcohol (to get drunk, I mean. I have consumed one (1) beer on three seperate occasions (eating steak.)); I waited until I was 18 to have sexual intercourse or any kind of sexual activity (and even then I made sure it was with someone I would want to be with for a long time. We're still going strong, if you are curious ).

All these morals, all this responsibility, all without the help of "spiritual guidance". I think religion is just an excuse to take the burden off of getting things done on your own.

Did you know that in the Stephen King book "It", there is a crazy spider monster that transforms itself into a clown and lures children into the sewers and then kills them?

How about if I told you that story was true, would you believe me? Probably not. For the same reasoning, I do not believe that the Bible is a work of complete non-fiction and should be taken literally; It is simply just a book that someone wrote. Well, more like a couple people. Okay, probably a hundred or so different people.

So that's about all I have for tonight - If anyone would like some more just ask and I could spill my thoughts again.

Thanks for reading.

------------------ Alright, you can open your eyes now.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73