View Single Post
Old 07-13-2003, 03:51 PM   #1 (permalink)
Stiltzkin
Junkie

You're, your, their, they're, there

Am I the only one that is sick and tired of seeing these words used improperly?

Let us review each one:

You're - Contraction between the words "you" and "are".

Example: You're going to help me do the chores tomorrow.
May also say: You are going to help me do the chores tomorrow.

Your - Denotes possession.

Example: This is your son, you take care of him.

They are not interexchangeable. You cannot say "Your going to help me do the chores tomorrow."

If you do say this, then you are saying that there is such a thing as a "going to help me do the chores tomorrow", and that it belongs to someone. The act of helping to accomplish chores belongs to someone? It is possible to mean this, but it is extremely rare to find such an instance of this use.

You also cannot say:

"This is you're son, you take care of him."

By this you are saying, "This is you are son, you take care of him." This simply does not make any grammatical sense, so don't do it, please.

Let us also discuss the pronunciation.

You're is pronounced as follows: "y-uh-r"
I get the feeling that this doesn't make sense because I'm not being clear enough. "uh" is the sound that "u" makes, such as in "under". The pronunciation of "your" is pretty clear-cut, as most people know how to pronounce it-- at least in my experience they do.

Their - denotes possession, third-person plural form.

Example: It's their show, you let them handle it.

They're - contraction between "they" and "are".

Example: They're going with us tomorrow.
Can also say: They are going with us tomorrow.

There - denotes location.

Example: There it is!

Now let's run down the list.

You cannot say:

"It's they're show, you let them handle it."

By saying this you are saying, "It's they are show, you let them handle it."

Honestly, does that make sense? I didn't think so.

You cannot say:

"It's there show, you let them handle it."

This might barely make grammatical sense. You are saying something along the lines of, "The show is right there, you let them handle it." And that's while being very generous and forgiving. Realistically, this does not make grammatical sense.

You cannot say:

"Their going with us tomorrow."

By saying this, you are saying that "going with us tomorrow" is tangible, and belongs to someone. Tangible means "something you can touch." Is there such a thing as "going with us tomorrow"? Maybe there's a type of perfume or something with this name, and in such a case you would be able to touch a "going with us tomorrow", but as before, such a case is quite rare.

You also cannot say:

"There going with us tomorrow."

Again, being very generous and forgiving, this might be taken to mean "That location over there is going with us tomorrow." Unless said location is referring to something small, such as a dog house, it is unlikely that a location will by accompanying anyone anywhere. That is unless of course, if you have access to a huge ship that is capable of carrying large houses or something along those lines... which is also very rare.

You cannot say:

"They're it is!"

First off, "they're" is plural-- meaning "more than one"-- and "it" is singular, meaning "only one". Does "They are it is!" make any sense to you? I sincerely hope not.

You also cannot say:

"Their it is!"

By this you are saying that there is such a thing as a "it is!", and is also tangible. I don't need to repeat everything I said before, do I?

Unfortunately, "their", "there" and "they're" are pronounced exactly the same.

I really don't feel any sympathy for ignorant people, whatever your case may be or your reason for being ignorant.

Just remember: "Ignorance is no excuse."

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54