View Single Post
Old 06-25-2003, 07:22 AM   #38 (permalink)
Prophecy
Oracle & Apollyon

Okay, I am going to try to tackle a few of statements here at the same time. So have been made in this thread a few others haven't but are along the same lines as other comments, bear with me... (Let me find my thinking cap...)

Quote:
Originally posted by seretogis
If you want for people to be able to make wrong hurtful decisions and "live with the consequences", why would you make a special case of abortion, which is not only not victimless, but concerns a victim which can't even defend itself? If you want people to "learn lessons", then legalize breaking and entering.
Some how I knew you were going to say that when I posted.
So let me say this, I'm referring to abortions only. Breaking and entering is a different topic that I have a different view on. Abortion isn't a special case it’s a separate case. My views on breaking and entering have nothing to with abortion.

Quote:
Abstinence, condoms, "the pill", "the patch", visectomy, spermicide, sponge, IUD, cervical cap, Norplant, etc all are available to stop unwanted pregnancies. In the unlikely event that all of the above options are unavailable or do not work, RU-486 is effective up to 72 hours after a pregnancy. There are plenty of choices that don't involve killing a developing child.
Okay, yes we have contraceptives, but no birth control method is perfectly reliable (except abstinence), and for medical or religious reasons many women can't use the most effective methods. Contraceptive information and services are still not available to all women, especially teens and the poor. That some women (and men) are careless about birth control is irrelevant to the legality of abortion.

Quote:
It comes down to how on earth abortion-supporters can believe that something with its own heart beat is somehow still only the mother...
I am pro-choice. "Pro-abortion/Abortion-supporter" is inaccurate, it implies I favor abortion over childbirth. I support choice/reproductive freedom, which means that an individual woman should be able to make her own choice.

Quote:
...Well, the baby is a separate living developing human being before it is born.
[list=1][*]The fetus is totally dependent on the body of the woman for its life support and is physically attached to her by the placenta and umbilicus. The health of the fetus is directly related to the health of the pregnant woman. Only at birth are they separate.[*]No twelve week child has been taken from the mother's womb and survived.[/list=1]

Quote:
With the central nervous system already developed, the baby is capable to feeling intense pain when it is killed in abortion.
I think that is along the lines of something seretogis was saying. Anyway, the brain structures and nerve-cell connections that characterize the thinking and feeling parts of the brain are not completed until between the 7th and 8th months of gestation. Only after 30 weeks do the brain waves show patterns of waking consciousness when pain can be perceived. The reflex actions that are present before this stage do not indicate ability to feel pain. Abortions virtually never occur after 24 weeks anyway. (Think life threatening cases)

Quote:
Abortion is wrong because it is taking a human life.
Almost all legislators who oppose abortion rights also support the death penalty. One might ask if they think people who are convicted of murder are no longer human.

Quote:
The right of the unborn to live supersedes any right of a woman to "control her own body." It’s not just her body...
I believe Margaret Sanger once said, "No woman can call herself free who does not own and control her own body." This concept is fundamental for women and men.

----------------

Forced abortion was being discussed in another thread here on the board as a method of population control in nations i.e. China. The only thing I have to say about that is abortion is one way to allow individuals to limit their childbearing voluntarily when a country's resources cannot support its population. I am opposed to forced abortion and support freedom of choice for all women in all countries.
E Potete Raccogliere Le Ricompense.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73