View Single Post
Old 06-24-2003, 05:01 PM   #34 (permalink)
seretogis
Huggles, sir?

Quote:
Originally posted by Prophecy
Some parents have been known to give their child up for adoption when the child was as old as five.
Thats all I have to say about that...
Well, at least that child will have the chance to grow up and learn from the mistakes of their parents.

Quote:
I guess my whole thing with this is, "Who am I/ Who are we" to judge?
By that logic, we should have no laws at all, right? I know that it isn't PC to think so, but there is a difference between "right" and "wrong".

Quote:
Silly or not that mother/couple should be able to choose for themselves what they are going to do about her situation without government intervention.
They can. Abstinence, condoms, "the pill", "the patch", visectomy, spermicide, sponge, IUD, cervical cap, norplant, etc all all available to stop unwanted pregnancies. In the unlikely event that all of the above options are unavailable or do not work, RU-486 is effective up to 72 hours after a pregnancy. There are plenty of choices that don't involve killing a developing child.

Quote:
Now don't get me wrong I would be truly angry at mother that got an abortion in her seventh month of pregnancy. However, I would try my best to stay neutral, just because I disagree that shouldn’t give me the right to stop her. (We are speaking only of abortion here, I hold different views on other topics) People should be allowed to make their own choices and be accountable for them after the fact, not before hand. Minority Report anyone?
The problem with this, Prophecy, is that abortion in the seventh month does not hold the parents accountable -- only the child -- who has absolutely no say in the matter. The parents have had plenty of time to decide what to do about the pregnancy, and holding the child accountable for their lack of action is not right. If you want for people to be able to make wrong hurtful decisions and "live with the consequences", why would you make a special case of abortion, which is not only not victimless, but concerns a victim which can't even defend itself? If you want people to "learn lessons", then legalize breaking and entering.

Quote:
I'm guessing this comes down to the point of view that I believe this is still the woman’s body where as you do not. Correct me if I’m wrong.
It comes down to how on earth abortion-supporters can believe that something with its own heart beat is somehow still only the mother. It's only a matter of time before our technology is to the point where a fetus can be extracted from the mother and survive/develop to a healthy baby. Scraping the very same fetus out of the womb with surgical tools will seem that much more barbaric, then.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73