View Single Post
Old 06-24-2003, 10:40 AM   #26 (permalink)
seretogis
Huggles, sir?

Quote:
Originally posted by The_Dude
it's the mother that has to carry the unborn for 9months and then have to go thru the procedure of giving birth.

if she chooses not to go thru this procedure at any moment, it's her choice.
If she chooses not to go through the procedure at any moment, she can not have unprotected sex with a man or take some responsibility and get shit taken care of within 12 weeks of conception! Her "choice" can be that of not getting pregnant in the first place. Do you think that parents that get tired of raising a child should be able to "choose not to go through the procedure of raising a child" and drown their children in a bathtub one after the other?

Yes, the above is an extreme suggestion, but honestly you seem to be completely ignoring any other form of reason, so I guess I have to draw some wicked parallels.

Quote:
Originally posted by Prophecy
However that just reinforces the my belief that we should give women/couples a better understanding of both sides of the issue.
I am always pro-education when it comes to such a decision. Even if abortion is made illegal after 12 weeks, it still is a choice that can have serious moral, physical, and emotional consequences that the parents should be aware of.

Quote:
Originally posted by Prophecy
Then once they understand the issue the choice they make is theirs. Right or wrong after that point the problem falls squarely in the lap of the mother/couple. They understood the issue, they made the choice, they live with it. People should be allowed to make the "wrong" choice and yes sometimes that choice effects other people, but thats just how the world is.
That sort of "honor system" in regards to lawful decisions just does not work. There is a chunk of the population that will not do something because it is illegal, and the law / consequences are what stop them. To consider that we shouldn't make abortion after 12 weeks illegal just to allow parents to choose right or wrong, is a bit silly. They have the rest of their lives to choose between right and wrong, let's not give them the opportunity when it concerns the life of a child.

Quote:
[i]Originally posted by Dilbert1234567[i]
seretogis i think there should be a 3 month window, after that i feel it has to be endangering the mom's life

Further do you think rape victims getting abortions? How bout 14 year olds
A mother's life is always endangered when getting an abortion, regardless of how early or late it occurs. There are also psychological concerns that are rarely addressed.

As for rape victims getting abortions, they have 72 hours to use RU-486, and 12 weeks to otherwise deal with the pregnancy. As for 14 year olds, the same applies though I would prefer that the parents be notified. Leaving parents out of the loop in something like this is a horrible idea, and further undermines their abilities as a parent. A friend of mine was knocked up (date-rape) at 16 and got an abortion, and she recently told her parents at 25 and it was weighing on her heavily for 9 years. A fourteen year old doesn't generally have the ability to make the morally right decision when it could entail punishment from parents, so to leave it up to them will nearly always guarantee that the wrong decision is made and other not-so-visible consequences take their toll.

Last edited by seretogis; 06-24-2003 at 10:43 AM..

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73