View Single Post
Old 06-20-2003, 03:08 PM   #1 (permalink)
mirevolver
Inspired by the mind's eye.

The Birth of the Future.

I have been working on a science fiction series for some time now. I have nine books outlined, and progress on several of the books. Here is the opening to the first book, the working title is: "The Birth of the Future."

Space; it is as black as it is infinite. But scattered throughout the blackness are trillions of little dots. Each of these dots marks the location of a bright burning ball of fusion. Some of these balls of fusion have a family of spheres revolving around them. And some of these spheres were formed in such a way so that certain amino acids were able to join together and create that which is called life.

In this galaxy there is a particular ball of fusion that has a family of nine revolving around it. Of the nine spheres there were two that met the criteria to allow the amino acids to join together. One sphere was red, the other was blue and of the nine spheres, these were the only two that were fortunate enough to be the carriers of life.

However, the red sphere did not develop well enough to allow its life the chance to continue. And the red sands of the sphere served to show the whole galaxy that the life, which was once there, could not survive as the sphere went into a great freeze.

But the blue sphere became lush and vibrant, which allowed its life a chance to thrive. And through the process of evolution, the life there grew into many different forms. As the evolution continued some life died, but that gave way for new life. And out of this evolutionary cycle, a supreme form of life for that sphere developed.

These people learned of the flame and how to control it. They learned complex mathematical equations and the laws of physics. They learned how to split an atom and how to travel faster than the vibrations of sound. They even learned how to leave the sphere that had nurtured them and venture into the black expanse of space.

Yet through all their trials and through all their tribulations, their true saga is just beginning. And before the saga is over, their very existence will come into question.

“Second UFO Sighting in as Many Weeks.” There it was, in large bold letters on the front page of the August 1, 2094 issue of the Denver Post. Dr Gary Moss started reading the article, then gave a little chuckle and put the paper down as he began to eat his breakfast.

“Scrambled eggs and sausage, I didn't order this.” He thought as he looked around the restaurant from his usual booth in the back of the restaurant, “am I getting that predictable?” After a brief moment, he discarded the thought and continued to eat his breakfast.

“Excuse me, Dr Moss.” spoke a woman who had just walked up to his table.

Moss looked her over; she had a slender build and was about one hundred and seventy-five to one hundred and eighty centimeters tall. She had dark brown hair, which was tied back into a tight bun on the back of her head. She maintained a very professional look with the navy blue business suit that she wore. “You're excused,” Moss replied, “any reason?”

The woman grinned, “I am Dr. Jane Manna, chief astronomer at the Rocky Mountain Observatory. May I sit down here?”

“Certainly, and if you're hungry I suggest the scrambled eggs and sausage.” Moss said as he continued eating his breakfast.

“Actually,” Manna said with hesitation in her voice, “I would like to discuss the recent UFO sightings.”

“Fascinating isn't it.” A smirk crept across Moss’s face. “Two sightings in as many weeks right here in Greeley Colorado. Are you sure you don't want anything to eat?”

“Quite sure. You see I was monitoring the skies on the night of the first sighting, and I saw the UFO through my telescope.”

“Really, what did it look like?”

“When I saw the UFO last night, I took a picture of it through the telescope.” Manna said as she reached into her purse and pulled out a photograph. “It looks like a twentieth century minivan except it’s ten to fifteen meters long and has rocket engines on the sides. But the most interesting thing about it is the logo on the side. As you can see-”

“New Age Space Technologies.” Moss interrupted with a serious tone.

“And I'm sure I don't need to point out that you are the CEO of NAST.”

“How many people at the observatory know about this?”

“Only my assistant and myself.”

“Well then I suggest that we conduct this conversation in a place that is a little more private.”

“I agree.”

“How about we go to my office then. Do you know the way to the NAST offices?”

“Yes.”

Dr. Moss immediately stood up and walked out of the restaurant followed by Dr. Manna. As they passed a waiter Moss signaled the waiter to send the check to his company.

Last edited by mirevolver; 06-20-2003 at 03:11 PM..

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73