View Single Post
Old 07-23-2011, 08:40 PM   #33 (permalink)
KirStang
Future Bureaucrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt View Post
Doing my best to stay out of this thread, but I would like to point out that the arguments against long guns seem to hing on the fact that they require at least 30 minutes of familiarization and a little bit of practice to attain proficiency. For what it's worth, virtually everyone that makes a living of shooting indoors uses a rifle or shotgun, with a handgun as a secondary. They don't seem to have problems opening doors or using weapons lights (3 second rule).

A shotgun with a light is a simple yet absolutely devastating defensive weapon within the confines of a house. Those that can't be bothered to learn day-one, basic skills like moving around a bit and how to top off a shotgun on the fly really have no business owning something that requires more training and fine motor skills (like a pistol).
Walt, I consider you a subject matter expert, so maybe I'll be forced to eat my words.

However, I think the standard professional who uses a long arm indoors probably works with a team, and his (or her) priorities are different than those of a homeowner.

In addition, if you point a gun (attached to your weaponlight) at any individual, you've just potentially opened yourself up to assault-with-a-deadly-weapon liability. Circumstances may vary.

Similarly, I've had to deal with trespassers on my property at 1am. I was able to conceal the pistol on my person, then confront the trespasser. If I only had a long arm available, I would have again, opened myself up to potential criminal liability if I decided to arm myself. (Before anyone says 'castle doctrine' I'm gonna reply with 'CURTILAGE').

There's no denying that a long arm is more effective, more accurate, and just a generally better fighting tool. However, for a civilian interested in 'personal protection,' I think a pistol would do just fine.

Last edited by KirStang; 07-23-2011 at 08:43 PM..

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62