View Single Post
Old 04-28-2011, 11:42 AM   #2 (permalink)
filtherton
Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baraka_Guru View Post

1.What do you think about this generally? Specifiically?
2.Do you think companies are taking too big of a risk to use advocacy in their advertising?
3.Should it match their brand strategy? Or merely their corporate philosophy?
4.Do you have any other examples of "ADvocacy" to share?
1. What do you think about this generally? Specifiically?
I thought that the ad was cute. I think the critical reaction is ridiculous. It's indicative of a certain type of self-perpetuating gender/sexual insecurity that makes it wrong for men to even begin to embrace the parts of themselves that they associate with being female. It's an extension of the chickenshit "men shouldn't cry" meme.

I'm probably the last person who should be expressing opinions of trends in popular culture, however, amongst the folks I hang out with there is a trend towards post-masculinity. On the other hand, I have guy friends who seem like they feel obligated to do all the "typical" man things. Like know how to cook every kind of red meat to perfection. Or make things out of wood. Or neglect their children in favor of their work. They put so much energy into living up to some completely arbitrary notion of what it means to be a man and competing with other men about their ability to be men. It seems like maybe they could enjoy life more if they didn't have these ridiculous hurdles to jump.

2. Do you think companies are taking too big of a risk to use advocacy in their advertising?

Maybe. Probably more for brands like NASCAR than for clothing companies (at least with respect to inclusive definitions of gender). As our culture becomes more accepting of more inclusive notions of gender and sexuality, this type of thing will cease to be controversial to any large degree (outside of the people who lack the security in their own sexuality to required to avoid getting freaked out by a boy wearing pink).

3. Should it match their brand strategy? Or merely their corporate philosophy?

I don't know. It would probably be good from an aesthetic standpoint for it to match their brand strategy, though I don't know that there are too many industries where "open and affirming" is all that relevant to brand.

4. Do you have any other examples of "ADvocacy" to share?

Can't think of anything off the top of my head.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73