View Single Post
Old 04-27-2011, 01:09 AM   #52 (permalink)
Charlatan
Getting it.

Super Moderator
Quote:
Originally Posted by levite View Post
FWIW, I am very much opposed to a ban on burqas, or any other kind of religious attire-- so long, of course, as those wearing attire that obscures the face, or is easily concealing, are prepared to unveil and submit to standard security checks at airports and the like.

I vehemently believe in the rights to free expression, and expression of one's religion, and am fervently opposed to any curtailing of those rights save what is absolutely necessary for public safety (which does not, AFAIK, mean bans on clothing, but, say, bans on the practice of human sacrifice for such religions that might practice it; or, quite differently, the practice of religious courts exercising capital punishment; and suchlike).

That said, I detest burqas, niqabs, and chadors-- as well, I hasten to add, as their equivalents in the ultra-Orthodox Jewish world, and even the nominally equivalent garb for ultra-Orthodox men; as well as the equivalent garb amongst other fanatical forms of religion of any kind. I think regardless of the fact that it is often technically not "mandated," it is very often de facto compulsory as a result of right-wing social pressures in the fundamentalist world. I think such garments degrade the wearer, foster deeply unhealthy attitudes about the human body, sexuality, and egalitarianism in society, and also foster innumerable other oppressive attitudes that flourish best in a generally ascetic and puritanical environment.

But people need to be free to make their own choices about such things.
This pretty much sums up how I feel about this. I don't think you can underscore enough this part: ...unhealthy attitudes about the human body, sexuality, and egalitarianism in society, and also foster innumerable other oppressive attitudes that flourish best in a generally ascetic and puritanical environment

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62