View Single Post
Old 04-09-2011, 01:37 AM   #57 (permalink)
Strange Famous
follower of the child's crusade?

There seems to be an assumption that any of the USA's allies would have taken part in an attack on Russia in some of the above.

I couldnt have imagined that the US could have carried anyone but maybe some forces pulled out of the former allies of Germany (Romania, Hungary, etc)...

Would the US have used atomic bombs against Russia (a former ally who had taken far more of the pain of defeating Germany than anyone else?)

If they did, what would be the reaction of the rest of the world, and the American people itself? At best complete isolation of America... at worst an almost universal declaration of war against it/revolution?

_

America did not have the manpower to conquer Russia in any conventional sense. But its own geography protects it from couterattack.

I think the whole scenario is simply unthinkable in any case. There is nothing to suggest that anyone in power in America in 1945 had any leanings towards such an act of treachery. After the US had provided so much aid at such a cost to itself to France and UK, how could it be possible to then committ actions that would place France and UK in war with America? Its just unthinkable.

The latter part of WWII marked America's emergence as a superpower, and also a real and material sacrifice in a war that was fundamentally not theirs.

To propose that a nation who had thought so strongly against the evil's of Nazism would be capable of committing an act of treachory on a level with anything the Nazi's did (short of the camps and murder squads)... such a thing is simply beyond belief.

_

On the level of "who would win if vikings though Mongols"... there could be a purely tactical discussion

Politically though this is an impossible situation and although I am not some kind of blind admirer of America and its foriegn policy, it simply without basis to accuse them of being capable or prepared to launch an attack against a battered and tortured alley who had lost 20 million men to defeat a common enemy.

Whatever the foibles of some general might be, it isnt something that would happen.

There is also a difference between the American troops and the German ones - there is not the same culture of authoritarianism. I would have seriously expected huge scale desertions if American soldiers were sent into battle against a friend.
without being uncovered."

The Gospel of Thomas

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73