View Single Post
Old 02-19-2011, 02:42 PM   #27 (permalink)
LordEden
Paladin of the Palate

Zeraph... Just because parties are awesome (I've been to my fair share of awesome SCA parties) doesn't make it less geekier. Also... Martial Arts =/ SCA. Sca is not real fighting, light or heavy. Fencers don't fight like light fighters and those people in the 12th-15th century who had to swing a sword to fight, they didn't fight like heavy fighters. Granted there are some amazing swordmen(women) in the SCA, but that's like 5% of the fighters out there. Real fencers make fun of how SCA people fight and most of the heavy fighters out there are just swinging wildly for the fences.

It's not real combat, yes you can get hurt, but it's not real. It's a watered down form of combat that is just slightly better than LARPers.

Actors act to put on a show for the crowd. UFC/Boxers fight for money and championships. SCA people pretend to be these characters they made up so they can "be someone else" for a weekend. That's why it's geeky, it's not for a show, tv, theator... it's for themselves. They escape the real world using the guise that "we are recreating history" when really they are just trying to live in a fantasy world because they don't like the "modern" world.

Sorry Zeraph, from one former Scadian to another, you are a geek for being in the SCA. There is no way to argue your way out of that.

Again Zeraph, this is NOT SCA armor. The way I would make SCA armor and how I'd make armor for bladed weapon combat is completely different.

Will: Melee weapons; ie. Slashing weapons (knives, daggers, swords) and some protection again blunt weapons (tho that is more a force distribution than anything). Arrow protection would be nice, but from what I've seen on the 'net, plate mail over chainmail over an arming jacket won't stop a bodkin arrow shot at less than 100-75 yards.

Mainly it is made for defense again slashing and blunt trauma.

Zeraph... you are bring up the fact you get laid at SCA events as proof that you are not a dork (you can use geek if you feel like you have better social skills than someone who is a "dork") for being in the SCA? Wow... I mean... Wow.....

You know what Zeraph, you are the cat's meow. The bee's knees. The hippest cat in town.

/donearguing
Vice-President of the CinnamonGirl Fan Club - The Meat of the Zombiesquirrel and CinnamonGirl Sandwich

Last edited by LordEden; 02-19-2011 at 02:48 PM..

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54