View Single Post
Old 01-27-2011, 05:49 AM   #21 (permalink)
bagatelle
Psycho

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowy View Post
So, for a wedding present in August, my husband and I received an awesome waffle iron, and ever since, we've been making waffles on a regular basis (in fact, hubby is making waffles right now). Last weekend, we visited friends and while we didn't take our waffle iron, the talk of making waffles and my mention of yeasted waffles made my friend want to make us yeasted waffles for breakfast.

Here is the yeasted waffle recipe:

Belgian Yeast Waffles: King Arthur Flour

You can choose to prepare the batter for these waffles and cook it after an hour, but we prefer to let the batter rest overnight in the fridge, where it develops some real depth of flavor, yeasty and rich. As you'll read in the comments below, some readers aren't fond of this "yeasty/fermented" flavor; if you think you might fall into this camp, add 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder to the recipe (in addition to the yeast), and cook after just a 30-minute rest; don't refrigerate overnight.

1 1/2 cups (12 ounces) lukewarm milk
6 tablespoons (3 ounces) butter, melted
2 to 3 tablespoons (1 3/8 to 2 ounces) maple syrup, optional
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 large eggs
2 cups (8 1/2 ounces) King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
1 1/2 teaspoons instant yeast

(To adjust yeast quantity to use active dry yeast, add an extra 1/4 tsp plus 1/8 tsp ADY to the 1 1/2 tsp called for in the recipe).

Combine all of the ingredients in a large bowl, leaving room for expansion; the mixture will bubble and grow. Stir to combine; it’s OK if the mixture isn’t perfectly smooth. Cover with plastic wrap, and let rest at room temperature for 1 hour; the mixture will begin to bubble. You can cook the waffles at this point, or refrigerate the batter overnight to cook waffles the next day.

Preheat your waffle iron. Spray with non-stick vegetable oil spray, and pour 2/3 to 3/4 cup batter (or the amount recommended by the manufacturer) onto the center of the iron. Close the lid and bake for the recommended amount of time, until the waffle is golden brown. It took us 5 to 6 minutes, using our 7" Belgian-style (deep-pocket) waffle iron. Serve immediately, or keep warm in a 200°F oven. Serve with berries and whipped cream, if desired.
Yield: about four 7" round Belgian waffles.

Another favorite breakfast of mine can be found in this video:

How about you? What are some of your favorite breakfasts? Recipes appreciated!
I'll have to try this recipe of waffles, after I've figured out the proportion of ounces in desilitres.

Conversion Chart

Waffles are great, my husband often makes them, but I don't like to eat anything sweet/sugary in the mornings. I prefer juice first, then bread with ham and cheese and cup of coffee to get me going.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54