Thread: Baking Bread
View Single Post
Old 12-18-2010, 02:25 PM   #3 (permalink)
snowy
Kick Ass Kunoichi

I wanted to share my favorite recipe for crescent rolls before I have to turn in this book to the library. They say the dough can be refrigerated for up to 4 days; the last time I made it, it sat in the fridge for longer, and it didn't seem to hurt the rolls any. They were still delicious. I don't use instant yeast because I can get active dry yeast in bulk; if you want to use ADY, add 25% more yeast (so 1 1/4 tsp). I've added some of my own notes to the text; I hope they help.

From: Baking Illustrated, by the Editors of Cook's Illustrated

Crescent Rolls
makes 16

You can make the dough up to 4 days ahead of time or even partially bake the rolls and freeze them for longer storage. To do this, begin baking the rolls as instructed, but let them bake at 350 for only 4 minutes until the tops and bottoms brown slightly. Remove them from the oven and let cool. Place the partially baked rolls in a single layer inside a ziplock and freeze. When you're ready to serve, defrost at room temperature and place them in a preheated 350 degree oven for 12 to 16 minutes. You can freeze the rolls for up to 1 month.

Dough
3/4 cup skim milk
16 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into pieces
1/4 cup sugar
3 large eggs
4 cups lower-protein unbleached all-purpose flour
1 tsp instant yeast (or 1 1/4 tsp. active dry yeast)
1 1/2 tsp. salt

Egg wash
1 egg white
1 tsp. water

If using active dry yeast, simply proof the yeast in about 1/4 cup of the warm (105-115 degrees) milk called for in the recipe, and add during step 1.
1. For the dough: Heat the milk, butter, and sugar in a small saucepan or in the microwave until the butter is mostly melted and the misture is warm (about 110 degrees), about 1.5 minutes. Whisk to dissolve the sugar. Beat the eggs lightly in a medium bowl; add about a third of the warm milk mixture to the eggs, whisking to combine. When the bottom of the bowl feels warm, add the remaining milk mixture, whisking to combine.
2. Combine the flour and yeast in the bowl of a standing mixer fitted with the paddle attachment; mix at lowest speed to blend, about 15 seconds. With the mixer running, add the milk and egg mixture in a steady stream; mix at low speed until a loose, shiny dough forms, (you may also see satiny webs as the dough moves in the bowl) about 1 minute. Increase the speed to medium and beat 1 minute; add the salt slowly and continue beating until stronger webs form, about 3 minutes longer. THe dough will remain loose rather than forming a neat, cohesive mass. Transfer the dough to a large lightly oiled bowl, cover the bowl with plastic wrap, and place in a warm, draft-free spot until the dough doubles in bulk and the surface feels tacky, about three hours.
3. Line a rimmed baking sheet with plastic wrap. Sprinkle the dough with flour (no more than 2 tbsp.) to prevent sticking and press down. Turn the dough onto a floured work surface and form into a rough triangle. Transfer the rectangle to the lined baking sheet, cover with plastic wrap, and refrigerate over night.
4. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper. Turn the dough rectangle onto a lightly floured work surface, and roll and shape the crescent rolls.

Shaping the Rolls
1. Roll the dough to a 20x13 inch rectangle. Use a pizza wheel to trim the edges. Cut the dough in half lengthwise, then cut into sixteen triangles.
2. Elongate each triangle of dough, stretching it another 2-3 inches in length.
3. Starting at the wide end, gently roll up each crescent, ending with the pointed tip on the bottom, and push the ends towards each other to form a crescent shape.

4, con't: Arrange the crescent rolls in 4 rolls on the parchment-lined baking sheet; wrap the baking sheet with plastic wrap and refrigerate at least 2 hours or up to 3 days.
5. Remove the baking sheet with the rolls from the refrigerator, unwrap, and cover with an overturned large disposable roasting pan (snowy's note: I just unwrapped them, then loosely covered them with the plastic wrap I'd already used so as to not waste stuff; the point is to protect them from drafts and crap in your kitchen). Alternatively, place the baking sheet inside a large plastic bag. Let rise until crescents feel slightly tacky and soft and have lost their chill, 45 to 60 minutes. Meanwhile, adjust an oven rack to the lower middle position, adjust the other rack to the lowest position, and place an empty baking pan on it. Heat the oven to 425 degrees.
6. For the egg wash: Whisk the egg white with the water in a small bowl until well combined. With a pastry brush, lightly dab the risen crescents with the egg wash. Transfer the baking sheet with the rolls to the lower middle oven rack, and working quickly, pour 1 cup hot tab water into the hot baking pan on the bottom rack (snowy's note: I keep my old enamel cast iron Dutch oven on the floor of my oven for precisely this purpose. Don't pour water on your oven door by accident--I've heard tell of people cracking the glass.) Close the door immediately and bake 10 minutes; reduce the oven temperature to 350 and continue baking until the tops and bottoms of the rolls are deep golden brown, about 12 to 16 minutes longer. Transfer the rolls to a wire rack, cool for 5 minutes, and serve warm.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62