View Single Post
Old 11-01-2010, 09:21 AM   #5 (permalink)
BadNick
Riding the Ocean Spray

Quantity seems to usually compromise quality. I'm sure many of us have noticed that with the huge explosion of information so easily available now, a "lot" of it is poor quality information. Same with "news" from all sources. I recall this being mentioned in other threads here...how to find accurate information. In some cases it's a difference of opinion, in others it could be the perspective of the writer and what axe they have to grind. In some cases it's factual and not a matter of opinion.

As far as Facebook being a place where "...the newest and hippest companies are advertising there..." I think it depends on the market for the company's products/services. For example, nobody in upper levels of engineering, purchasing, or operations in the rail transportation industry is looking for General Electric's Facebook page, nor would they really even have time or reason to visit there. Same goes for many industrial companies I work with every day. To me this industrial Facebook thing seems to fit better to household consumers. I do see that GE has a Facebook page, as do other companies where to me it makes no sense, but I think they're doing it because they see others doing it and they're too scared not to jump on the bandwagon for fear of missing something. I think if they knew better and were more secure in their knowledge, they wouldn't bother with Facebook.

As far as friends and family, Facebook seems to fit a need there. Though again, in my opinion the excessive quantity of information compromises the qualilty. I just don't want or need to know when one of my relatives farts or has a bad hair day. It's a shame they even have the time to post about that. I think something's wrong there.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54