View Single Post
Old 10-19-2010, 03:02 PM   #22 (permalink)
SirLance
Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Dunedan View Post
And if the Chef/owner/boss doesn't want it moved at all because it fucks up the flow of staff and product?
Oh, excuse me, sir. I'm afraid we need to move this. Can we accommodate your group by putting it over here?

Quote:
You're obviously a lot more civilized than typical birthday restaurant-goers. While working at a pizza joint in college, I once had to defuse a pair of drunken idiots who decided that "it's mah burfday!" excused shouting at waitstaff and demanding free pizza, beer, and dessert. I know I am far from alone in this experience.
I got you fooled! Perhaps, but there's a difference between managing expectations and managing bad behavior. You're example is one where your "patrons" should have been asked politely to leave. Remember also that the OP isn't referring to a pizza joint.

Quote:
Doesn't work that way. After shutdown, trash has to be taken out, floor-mats have to be washed, windows need washing...all of which requires either that the door be unlocked, or that someone be dedicated to sitting by the door with a key. Even if the door -is- locked, and the lights off, people will frequently come up to the door and bang, pound, push and slam on it in an effort to gain entry and access to munchies. When you appear from The Back wiping your hands, the first thing they ask is "Y'all open?" despite the fact that the hours are clearly posted, the door is locked, the sign says "Closed" and all the lights are out. If you're lucky enough to have a back door, you're also unlucky enough that these jerks will find it, gain entry, and demand food.
Don't agree. It works that way if people are properly trained to handle the situation.

Quote:
Quite correct. But neither is anybody obligated to inconvenience people who -did- show up on time by accommodating someone who did not.
Nor would I expect that. I said "IF" you can accommodate me, otherwise you just explain that you can't, but you'll be happy to seat me at the next available table, in about x minutes. If X is too long, I can choose to go elsewhere.

Quote:
And when Jackwagon looses his temper, starts cursing at the waitstaff, and puts other paying diners off their food, what then? I have seen this happen more than once.
Training. "Sir, if you continue to behave this way, we'll have to call the police. Please leave." If he won't, pick up the phone and call 911, right in front of him. Most people will leave.

Quote:
We're not talking about inconvenience. We're talking here about a jerkoff who calls up during the Lunch Rush (when all the planning in the world can't keep it from being All Hands On Deck) and keeps you on the phone for 30+ minutes asking about every single item on the menu. "Is it Organic? Is it lactose-free? Is there garlic in -that- sauce too, or just the sauce on the -last- pizza? There aren't any onions, are there?" And most of the time these assholes don't spend any money, they're just calling around comparison shopping!
After question #3, "Excuse me, please hold." Then press hold. Come back when and if you can.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62