View Single Post
Old 09-29-2010, 04:02 PM   #25 (permalink)
Martian
Young Crumudgeon

Welcome to the IT industry. IT jargon I think is kind of infamous. Fun fact: there's an acronym in my company's name.

Some of you will probably already know many or even most of the acronyms in my list:

IP: Internet Protocol, the foundation on which the internet is built
URL: Uniform Resource Locator, or what's commonly known as a "web address"
DNS: Domain Name Service, the service that connects a domain name to an IP address
TLD: Top Level Domain, the two, three or four letter 'type' of domain in question, which can be either a
gTLD: generic Top Level Domain such as .com or .org, or a
ccTLD: country code Top Level Domain, such as .ca, .uk or .us .
POP: Post Office Protocol, and
IMAP: Internet Message Access Protocol, two ways of getting email from your mail server to your mail client
SMTP: Simple Mail Transfer Protocol, the way mail servers transfer messages between themselves
FQDN: Fully Qualified Domain Name, a domain name that is specified as absolute instead of relative to another one.
SSL: Secure Socket Layer, a method of verifying and securing an internet connection through the use of encryption and a digital "certificate" issued by a third party
TLS: The successor to SSL for encrypting a connection

I could go on, but those are all of the ones that pop immediately to mind on the tech side of things. If someone calls or emails me looking to trouble shoot something related to their DNS, odds are a few of the acronyms are going to come up. In addition to that, we have the policy (read: legal) side of it. Because we're also a registrar, we get to deal with:

ICANN: The Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers, the body resposnible for overseeing some of the most critical aspects of the internet as it exists today
IANA: The Internet Assigned Numbers Authority, the body that allocates the IP address side of things
CIRA: The Canadian Internet Registration Authority, the organization in charge of the registry for .ca domains
UDRP: Uniform Dispute Resolution Policy, the procedure for contesting domain ownership

And that's enough for now.
I get through speakin' and I can't remember, not a word that I said

- Ben Harper, Show Me A Little Shame

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54