View Single Post
Old 08-04-2010, 01:09 AM   #19 (permalink)
Shadowex3
Addict

Nice job on that, most people aren't willing to take the plunge and Just Build It. It's also a respectable achievement to have figured it all out (including mobo standoffs) without killing anything, most people I teach wind up frying at least one part their first time or two.

Random commentary from my own knuckle-skinning exploits: You don't need anti-static gloves, all you need is an electrical path to ground, those anti-static computer bracelets etc are usually just a metal plate and wire connected to the computer case or something else grounded.

Good job on putting the PSU in first though because doing that and then plugging it into the wall will ground the entire metal computer chassis, and then touching that will ground you.

The standoffs don't ground your motherboard, that's what the power plugs in it do, they actually space the thing so it DOESNT have any unwanted electrical contact with the chassis.

Instead of a regular screwdriver get one like the one in this generic gimmick-toolkit. The computer toolkits themselves usually are a waste but a solid 1/4" hex bit screwdriver with three ratchet settings is a godsend when working on computers. Not only can you save your arms with the ratcheting and use any standard hex bit set with it, including shank extenders, but the actual hex socket on the end of the screwdriver by itself fits perfectly with the shape of most computer screws.

The sticky stuff was indeed thermalpaste, usually very bad thermalpaste compared to just about any of the popular brands like Arctic Silver 5, MX-2, or IC Diamond.

And lastly another common mistake is that some motherboards will have a power connector for the CPU that looks significantly similar to a different plug that's for the graphics card. Thankfully most respectable power supplies will have at least one labelled.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willravel View Post
The reason I'm installing XP is so I can use the burner on the new rig. My Mac mini only reads DVDs, so I can't burn the ISO image of Win7 until I have a burner going (I was able to burn XP because it fits on a CD, which is convenient). I'll burn the win7 DVD and then, as you say, install Windows 7 from scratch.

I figured I'd use my external hard drive to back up my Windows computer. I use Time Machine and so far it's been great for having a contingency in case of a problem.
Fair warning there's a possibility that will cause you some problems. Maybe if you use a full disc instead of an upgrade it doesn't but I had a hell of a time making a proper bootable win7 installation media from winxp. You can also make a USB key if it's big enough, which is what I wound up using.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73