View Single Post
Old 07-09-2010, 02:34 PM   #23 (permalink)
Idyllic
Psycho

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baraka_Guru View Post
They seem take the position I do, which is essentially an agnostic atheist. I don't believe there is a God, but there is nothing I can do to prove it otherwise. I do not claim to know that God does not exist. There probably isn't a God.

I cannot know this for certain, and neither can you. I do not claim to know things that others don't. Any human being can have the same experiences as I've had regardless of their beliefs. Though I will say that the sum of my experiences and my reflections upon them are unique. Others may share similarities, and common themes may emerge, but the universe has too many variables for a Unified Experience.
I’ve always questioned this thinking as the needs for most to understand their own history and to try and explain their own existence seems to me to create some form of a “Unified Experience,” as we see today the continued growth of people wanting to know each other, that is a unified desire and humans wanting to get along, that to me is a unified desire, we do as humans (especially those who have a form of faith in humanities’ evolution toward “something” more cohesive) find a unified desire to help one another. As I have read a bite of the Dhammapada (though I will quote from wikip for brevity) I notice the core value of it’s teaching and the Unified Experience of goodness that I read over and over again in the most fundamental teaching of all mankind’s books that sing of oneness, peace and love, self respect and self regulation and the whole thy brothers keeper bit, that which we think we are we are, and goodness begets goodness, this sentiment radiates throughout almost all of mankind’s historically “religious” books of teaching, that is what I would consider a “Unified Experience” of mankind and what gives me the faith that something much grander is working within us to help mankind find peace in our experiences of existence alone.

Most today simply call it evolution of life but we did not have to evolve this way, warring as tribal man was, we could have long ago chose death for the right to control and nations of power and chaos would be the leading knowledge of the world yet love still seems to be the most cohesive glue that binds us all to one another, love of something more than just living, more than just lifes’ love of our humanness, love of more than merely surviving just for the sake of a second breath. Until we are taught hate, by those who would tyrannize for intentions of power, we simply love each other. As children without teachers, teachers who teach control of others as rewarding and necessary for ones own survival, if left to be untaught we teach ourselves friendship and cohesively living together and then we too create teachers who teach love and then we collectively place them on pedestals, but they are human too and fall to humans’ base greed sometimes, alas, those whose greed overrules their kindness, they lose humanities love and instead of teaching the dangers of life without a tail they convince others to go tailless (parable speaking), or even force them to conform, (the king wears no clothes), or create a religious doctrine to confine (though at one time it really was to protect). Will you be my friend, check the box, yes or no……if you say no most will simply find someone else who will say yes, until mom or dad or a teacher (religious or not) tells us we are not friends, we simply are, united, if for no other reason than that lonely is loveless and love is all encompassing, a unified experience, if you will. I’ve always seen people who are anger in life as those whose boxes got checked no more often and then wanted to punish everyone for their own inability to deal with rejection, who gave up trying and accepted lonely and allowed loneliness to become them and in a sense I blame teachers (in the sense that we are all teachers to one another) of society for creating

Quote:
As one aspect of my beliefs/values, if you want to know the closest thing resembling religion that I would ascribe to/accept, read the Dhammapada if you haven't already. There are many things in there that relate to life experience, observation, and reflection.
“132. He who seeking his own happiness does not punish or kill beings who also long for happiness, will find happiness after death.”

happiness after death, for in living a life that is filled with something (happiness, goodness), why not fill it with a happiness after death also, what does it take from life to believe that death can be a gift all its own, not a reward, a GIFT for living a long and suffering life where being kind is righteous, a gift for a tired body but a still hungry mind. Buddha believed in so much more than the simplicity of this life, mostly he was attempting to remove mans suffering through acceptance of suffering, which works, put on a happy face and your face will eventually be happy, but evolutions/revolutions/reincarnations and science has shown that sometimes a happy face just isn’t enough. (That doesn’t mean I don’t still do it , it seems logical to try to be happy if not for oneself than for those around you, appearance and reality eventually collide whether we want them to or not, though.

Quote:
Dhammapada

The following English translations are from Müller (1881). The Pali text is from the Sri Lanka Tripitaka Project (SLTP) edition

Ch. I. Twin Verses (Yamaka-vaggo)

1. All that we are is the result of what we have thought: it is founded on our thoughts, it is made up of our thoughts. If a man speaks or acts with an evil thought, pain follows him, as the wheel follows the foot of the ox that draws the carriage

2. All that we are is the result of what we have thought: it is founded on our thoughts, it is made up of our thoughts. If a man speaks or acts with a pure thought, happiness follows him, like a shadow that never leaves him.

5. For hatred does not cease by hatred at any time: hatred ceases by love, this is an old rule.

Ch. X. Punishment (Daṇḍa-vaggo)
131. He who seeking his own happiness punishes or kills beings who also long for happiness, will not find happiness after death.

132. He who seeking his own happiness does not punish or kill beings who also long for happiness, will find happiness after death.

133. Do not speak harshly to anybody; those who are spoken to will answer thee in the same way. Angry speech is painful, blows for blows will touch thee

Chapter XII: Self (Atta-vaggo)
157. If a man hold himself dear, let him watch himself carefully; during one at least out of the three watches a wise man should be watchful.

158. Let each man direct himself first to what is proper, then let him teach others; thus a wise man will not suffer.

159. If a man make himself as he teaches others to be, then, being himself well subdued, he may subdue (others); one's own self is indeed difficult to subdue.

160. Self is the lord of self, who else could be the lord? With self well subdued, a man finds a lord such as few can find.

161. The evil done by oneself, self-begotten, self-bred, crushes the foolish, as a diamond breaks a precious stone.

162. He whose wickedness is very great brings himself down to that state where his enemy wishes him to be, as a creeper does with the tree which it surrounds.

163. Bad deeds, and deeds hurtful to ourselves, are easy to do; what is beneficial and good, that is very difficult to do.

164. The foolish man who scorns the rule of the venerable (Arahat), of the elect (Ariya), of the virtuous, and follows false doctrine, he bears fruit to his own destruction, like the fruits of the Katthaka reed.

165. By oneself the evil is done, by oneself one suffers; by oneself evil is left undone, by oneself one is purified. Purity and impurity belong to oneself, no one can purify another.

166. Let no one forget his own duty for the sake of another's, however great; let a man, after he has discerned his own duty, be always attentive to his duty.

Ch. XIV: The Buddha (The Awakened) (Buddha-vaggo)
183. Not to commit any sin, to do good, and to purify one's mind, that is the teaching of (all) the Awakened.

Ch. XX: The Way (Magga-vaggo)
276. You yourself must make an effort. The Tathagatas (Buddhas) are only preachers. The thoughtful who enter the way are freed from the bondage of Mara

277. 'All created things perish,' he who knows and sees this becomes passive in pain; this is the way to purity

278. 'All created things are grief and pain,' he who knows and sees this becomes passive in pain; this is the way that leads to purity.

279. 'All forms are unreal,' he who knows and sees this becomes passive in pain; this is the way that leads to purity.

Ch. XXIV: Thirst (Taṇhā-vaggo)
343. Men, driven on by thirst, run about like a snared hare; let therefore the mendicant drive out thirst, by striving after passionlessness for himself.
Much of this sounds to me a lot like “Unified Experiences” in life and the “good” way to live it. How can it be that man from the earliest times of history over and over again repeat in their ancient works, the reverend works, the same fundamental thought of human kindness and self preservation with the base foundation being caring for others, and education toward the righteous life of compassion and love, how does this not seem to be a “Unified Experience” because it sure seems that way to me.

Buddism is a beautiful ideology, philosophy, religion, you choose, but it to has its’ own rules and practices that one needs to follow to achieve “oneness” with Amitābha. (Light, pure light, maybe the light at the end of the tunnel, synapses popping, etc, unified experiences and all)

Quote:
I don't believe in a singular Meaning of Life. I don't look at meaning in life as a quest for a Holy Grail. I don't expect to have an aha! moment and be at peace when I've finally found the Answer to Life. (The answer is not "42," though I think we're a bit closer with, "Well, it's nothing very special. Uh, try and be nice to people, avoid eating fat, read a good book every now and then, get some walking in, and try and live together in peace and harmony with people of all creeds and nations.")
I don’t necessarily believe there is an answer to life either except to some degree that living that life to it’s fullest is the answer (within the means of not ever inflicting intentional pain upon others or the finding of pleasure in the pain of others), as you said, I won’t know the answers of death in life, duality unachievable, so for now life is the answer, death will answer it’s own questions, eh. But I’d have to disagree with you in that the answer to life not being 42, it just might (one must consider then question)…. and I too always think we get a bit closer to the answers, especially as we age toward death… BUT I really do believe that life is something special, something extraordinarily special, more special that anything else I’ve ever known, for without this simple experience of that special life, what would we even be acknowledging, mayhap we are already dead and that is why life is not special because to live a special life one must recognize the specialness of it.

Absolutely read a good book, read a bad book, read and fill your experience if life with your own emotions and through empathy others, walk/work you body, stretch/work your mind, expand/question your soul, eat drink and be merry but don’t endanger your carriage or the carriages of others, harmony amongst the most myriad instruments creates a symphony whose music rivals the insects nightly hum, whose sounds can even reach deaf ears on waves of visual beauty, even heads nodding create rhythm, the lightest feet tapping of billions of people can become akin to stomps, to the ground vibrating beneath our unified experiencing lives. Feet carry my body but my mind, my mind carries my soul, I can find other carriages for my body, whose to say there are not other carriages for my soul?

Quote:
In life we suffer; we feel better about it if we can alleviate it in ourselves and in others. There are things that distract us from this, there are other things that shine light on this. That's a start.
Singing to me, I hear you and smile and wish we could all suffer no more, but acknowledging that suffering gives as much as it takes in the human experience. I used to say, and still do at time, I like pain…. simply because it feels so good when it goes away.

Quote:
I can't be absolutely certain. What I'm quite certain of, however, is that upon my death my "earthly senses" will cease to function. I currently depend on these for my life experiences.
“An Occurrence at Owl Creek” the mind is a wondrous thing and many a synapse will continue to explode after the pumping machine stops its pumping, what last synapses will fire for you, the moments story unfolding be they the pictures of your life or the movements into your next realities dream. I will walk over that rainbow bridge and fight for even little static sparkles to see my friends and family and I will carry this belief of that last moment of awareness until it is taken from me in death, but never in life my friend, I will not ever give up that simple gift that within those seconds, millisecond, where one machine empties its goods into the universe those electrical impulses may not be destroyed and maybe, just maybe, they carriage my memories, that which makes me, me - to the next zamperla experience. Faith means more to me that just trust, faith means life has a value more than the one simply defined as a collection of experiences, faith to me is the greatest gift in life and the most rewarding gift in death and I intend to cherish it here and open it there, even if it is only with my mind in those last fleeting seconds of gratitude for accepting it, for living it, gratitude for the “Unified Experience” of being the most minute part or the most minute second of reality, it WAS mine, my present, my gift and I am all the happier in living just knowing I got to even tough the ribbon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ring View Post
I used to numb the angst with many a Happy-Frappey,
but I can't anymore, if I want to keep livin'.
My drinking for now kills a physical pain, actually it doesn’t kill it just helps me get over the mind-fuck anorexia, but hilariously the beer makes me fat which in turn reduces my fear of eating which then I eat more and get fatter and it’s this great stupid cycle that I need to break somehow, just haven’t found that golden hammer yet, it will come, it always does. I will not and do not drink to the point of endangering myself or especially my children, I am too much of a control freak to allow them the experience of a drunken mess (mom), I know that one, lived it. I poke fun about drinking (It really isn’t fun) but for now it is my monkey and my back is heavy not only from him but from the reason he is there, decisions, decisions, they are a coming and I am positive that the positivity of my pessimism will welcome me with cackling laughter until I grin and bear it. Que Sera, Sera, and a new chapter will begin; I look forward to reading it. I wonder if it will be a love story or a tragedy or a moment of enlightenment or a comedy, an adventure for sure but in the mean time my thighs are now touching and it is freaking the shit out of me to walk in a bathing suit, lol, how warped is that, though I am learning to love my body in a hateful way, amazing how life makes little sense of living and yet I laugh at my owning stupidity for what I think is making it all “better” or should I say “beerter”, I’m so mart, duh me.

p.s. I love reading all your adventures, I hope everyone is well and all surgeries and illness and physical interests find a way to lighten in your pains. Thanks again for allowing me to be a part of this family. Ya’ll can call me that crazy aunt nutty with the dead cat next to her bed. I would be that crazy cat lady if I weren’t allergic to them.

p.s. I contradict my contradictions, with or without intention, sometimes.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54