View Single Post
Old 06-25-2010, 04:50 PM   #12 (permalink)
Bodyhammer86
Insane

I can feel your pain with the job market, but in a different way.

I'm trying to get a job in the criminal justice system and to say it's a bitch and a half is putting it lightly. Since many of these positions are basically government jobs (meaning municipal police forces, county sheriff offices, jails, community corrections, and so on), they're being annihilated by budget constraints. It also doesn't help matters that police work is now "the cool things to do." Believe it or not, 20-30 years ago, you couldn't pay people enough to be cops. At this point in time however, everyone and their grandma wants to be a cop, and then you have laid off workers from other industries that are attracted to it because of the job security. In short, because of budget constraints, law enforcement agencies may have 2 or 3 openings (if they're hiring at all) and because of the above factors, they have hundreds of people applying for them. As such, they have to find ways to weed people out to thin the pool (usually the interview portion) and as such, it's incredibly hard to get a job in the criminal justice system right now.

But if it's anything that pisses me off more than anything, it's seeing job openings in my field, which are mundane, entry level positions in the 29k-35k salary range which anyone could learn with a few weeks of training, but in spite of that, they requre 3-5 years of experience for all of them. This is particularly frustrating because how the fuck am I supposed to get that damn experience if no one is willing to hire me inexperienced? Of course, I've noticed this with other fields as well.
Pantera, Shadows Fall, Fear Factory, Opeth, Porcupine Tree, Dimmu Borgir, Watch Them Die, Motorhead, Beyond the Embrace, Himsa, Black Label Society, Machine Head, In Flames, Soilwork, Dark Tranquility, Children of Bodom, Norther, Nightrage, At the Gates, God Forbid, Killswitch Engage, Lamb of God, All That Remains, Anthrax, Mudvayne, Arch Enemy, and Old Man's Child \m/

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54