View Single Post
Old 06-12-2010, 07:58 AM   #1 (permalink)
Cynthetiq
Tilted Cat Head

Administrator
Tele-townhalls: Good, Bad, Ugly, Unfair?

Quote:
PRESS RELEASE
TELE-TOWNHALLS CONNECT CONSTITUENTS WITH RANGEL

June 11, 2010 10:12 AM

New York - On Wednesday, Congressman Charles Rangel hosted the third in a series of tele-townhall meetings, to directly discuss with residents issues ranging from local issues like affordable housing and charter schools, to national debates on immigration, healthcare and the Gulf oil spill as well as foreign policy in the Middle East, Afghanistan and Iraq.
Nearly 13,000 residents of the district have joined in on the hour-long discussions that were held Monday, June 1, Saturday, June 5 and Wednesday June 9. Another is scheduled for Saturday, June 12 at 11 a.m.
?These telephone town halls were a great opportunity for me and residents of Upper Manhattan to continue our discussion about not just getting through these rough economic times but providing the resources that our community needs to realize their potential and move beyond their dreams, ” said Rep. Rangel. ?Discussing important local and national issues with constituents is one of the most important parts of my job, and I want to thank the thousands of people who joined these discussions. It was great to use this new technology reach out and provide the answers to questions they had from everything from charter schools to budget cuts to how we can end our current immoral war in Iraq and Afghanistan.”
The town halls build on several community meetings that have been held in El Barrio, Washington Heights, the Upper West Side and Harlem since the beginning of the year. More than 90 percent polled during the town hall said that they enjoyed the telephone forum.
Constituents looking to listen to archived discussions or to participate in the upcoming tele-townhalls are encouraged to visit the Congressman’s website at Home | Congressman Charles B. Rangel: Serving New York's 15th District.

New Technology Provides Additional Way To Communicate Information & Directly Address Concerns
Today I got another phone call for Rep. Charles Rangel, with his robocalling system calling me again for a second Saturday in a row. I'm listening to it now.

There's a couple things here that I must express before I dive off for a discussion. First, I think that Charles Rangel is an idiot. He was the chair of the Ways and Means committee and still didn't understand how to file income taxes on his investments and assets, claiming they were too confusing. Also, he ran his campaign office out of a rent stabilized apartment which is a slap in the face to those constituents who really need those units more than he does.

I think he's a bigger idiot because his phone call system called me, not once, but twice. TWICE. Why is that a big deal? Because he's not my representative and I'm not his constituent in any shape or form. I don't live in his district. I don't work in his district. So while I live on the border of districts via creative gerrymandering, there's no way he is my representative at all.

Now that I got that off my chest, I'm still listening to Rep. Rangel talk about helping returning troops and disenfranchised felons.

If you got a call like this would you stay on to listen? Would you participate? What do you think of this technology? Pros? Cons?

I think it's good that they do this. Reaching out to people is more important than anything else and it's hard to do. What I find problematic though is that not everyone has a phone, and if you do, it may be a cellphone where you're charged for incoming and outgoing calls. So to participate in this forum, it's possible that those who can't afford it pay as you go users, can't take advantage of this.

I'm looking forward to this being put into cross platform use from telephone to internet to allow more people to connect to the representatives.
I don't care if you are black, white, purple, green, Chinese, Japanese, Korean, hippie, cop, bum, admin, user, English, Irish, French, Catholic, Protestant, Jewish, Buddhist, Muslim, indian, cowboy, tall, short, fat, skinny, emo, punk, mod, rocker, straight, gay, lesbian, jock, nerd, geek, Democrat, Republican, Libertarian, Independent, driver, pedestrian, or bicyclist, either you're an asshole or you're not.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73