View Single Post
Old 05-12-2010, 01:22 PM   #17 (permalink)
Punk.of.Ages
Forming

It's fairly easy to tell who here has worked for a chef and who hasn't, I think...

The restaurant business is a very stressful business. I've never seen a higher level of tension than that of a dinner rush in a high end kitchen. Fact is, chef's are by and large huge assholes. I heard mention of Chef Ramsay from Hell's Kitchen somewhere in this thread. That dude doesn't have shit on some of the chefs I've worked for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordEden View Post
Some chefs are pan throwers
Perhaps some of you thought he was exaggerating that bit. He's not. I've had knives thrown at me. It's high tension, fast paced, and temperaments run rampant. But, I digress...

This is simple. Even though the chef shouldn't have been yelling within earshot of the customers, the customer should not have entered his kitchen. If you have a problem with a restaurant, just leave. Don't tell the owner how to run his shit.

---------- Post added at 03:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:14 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuglyStick View Post
But here's the thing, Eden--it's still unacceptable. Why chefs and a few other professions are cut so much slack on ridiculous behavior is beyond me; try that on a factory line, or in a school, or in the fucking military for christ's sake, and see how fast you are called out for it. Being a chef is not a license to be a dick.
I've said it a million times before; very few situations bring out the temperamental, unacceptable, and ridiculous behavior we're more accustomed to seeing out of children, but a busy kitchen is one of those places.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuglyStick View Post
If kowtowing to a douche is the only way to get ahead in the kitchen, God help the miserable souls who do it to pay the bills.
I've never met anybody who works under a chef in a high end restaurant just to pay the bills. If you're only in it to pay the bills, you won't last.

I didn't put up with the yelling, berating, pan/knife throwing, or the temper tantrums to make a few bucks. I put up with it because at the end of the day I was satisfied with myself. I felt as though I'd gone into a jungle and come out with a new tiger fur.

A feeling of accomplishment is worth a lot more than a paycheck.

"Punk rock music is great music played by really bad, drunk musicians." -Fat Mike

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62