View Single Post
Old 05-12-2010, 11:00 AM   #81 (permalink)
pan6467
Lennonite Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlatan View Post
A couple of things on this:

1) the language thing is useful, but not overly essential for new immigrants. It's their children you really want. Concentrate on assimilating them.
2) Culture. American culture (Canadian too) is an amalgam of different cultures. It will change (continually) with the influx of new cultures. There is no orthodoxy in this. There simply can't be. Get over it.
3) Laws. American is a nation of laws... not people. The people who come to America must (no exceptions) embrace this legal system. It is these laws that make America what it is, not whether you speak English or eat hot dogs, etc.
4) Common cause. Difference of culture is diversity. Diversity is a good thing. That said, it can divide if there is no effort towards a common cause. I would argue that point 3 is basis of that common cause. The building of a better America, is the goal. There are always going to be different ideas of what a better America will be, regardless of your cultural makeup. Always.
1) I agree with wholeheartedly. when I was a kid growing up we had a family who's mother was from Yugoslavia and the father was German. The parents spoke very little English but made sure their children were educated as best they could be. The 3 sons have grown up to be very successful business men and I believe that is because the parents instilled in them the opportunities that existed.

If you have a group that sits there and does nothing but talks about how discriminated they are and hold in contempt the very country they are in because they feel oppressed (even though they came here on their own free will), their children will carry those prejudices and anger and not succeed. This will lead to more resentment and more passion that they are being oppressed and held down.

2) American culture is an amalgamation of many parts and is continually being added to. However, hard work, the desire to make the nation better for the next generation and pride of what the US stands for (Freedom, Liberty, Justice) should NEVER change but be instilled into everyone so that those 100 years from now have better lives and opportunities than we have now.

If you have a group that puts their own values and national pride over this country's should go back to whence they came and remember why they came here. If for example you came from Zyxtopia and refuse to learn English, hold you flag higher and cry that you are oppressed and discriminated against... then you are not truly taking advantage of what this country offers. You are wanting this country to give to you all you want but have no desire to be a part of the work and beliefs it takes to grow the country.

3) America is a country of laws and freedoms... (granted freedoms seem to be considered "privileges now and seem to be taken away and legislated against more) and they should be upheld. This includes illegal immigration. We cannot, nor should we ever pick and choose what laws are important and which aren't. The greatest thing about this country is if you do not like the laws.... vote to change them or the people that will change them to your liking into office. Until then the law is the law... demonstrate, speak out against it, write protest letters, make your views known but until it is changed respect and adhere to it. That's how change comes.

4) I would argue the common cause for America is to keep freedom and liberty alive and to work to make it a better place for the next generation and the generation after. To teach your children what it is to be an American and how the freedoms and liberties are so important. Part of this country's problem is that those who have been here for generations have taken it for granted and not truly passed down how valuable and rare freedom truly is.
I just love people who use the excuse "I use/do this because I LOVE the feeling/joy/happiness it brings me" and expect you to be ok with that as you watch them destroy their life blindly following. My response is, "I like to put forks in an eletrical socket, just LOVE that feeling, can't ever get enough of it, so will you let me put this copper fork in that electric socket?"

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73