View Single Post
Old 04-14-2010, 08:27 PM   #26 (permalink)
robot_parade
Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teknikid View Post
The "apportionment" clause of that does not mean what you seem to think it means. An apportioned tax meant the bill given the state by the feds was proportional to its population. It has nothing to do with the whether the states get any of the money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wikipedia
The Court of Appeals re-affirmed that the Congress has the power to impose the income tax, and stated that the Sixteenth Amendment "merely eliminates the requirement that the direct income tax be apportioned among the states."
Do you have a citation for you interpretation of the 16th amendment? The states already get plenty of federal money. I don't see the disagreement here.

Quote:
Half of the items you listed aren't even constitutional for the feds.
Quote:
Originally Posted by me
o The military.
Common defense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by me
o Medicare and Medicaid.
General welfare

Quote:
Originally Posted by me
o Public education.
General welfare

Quote:
Originally Posted by me
o Regulation (EPA, FDA, TLA, etc.)
General welfare

Quote:
Originally Posted by me
o Law enforcement (FBI), intellegence (CIA), and homeland security.
General welfare & common defense

Quote:
Originally Posted by me
o Various infrastructure projects in the states (roads, the interstate highway system, etc.
General welfare.

Quote:
And in regards to 'selfishly not pay taxes' as you put it, here we go again with that "pay your fair share" mentality. What for? What are these wonderful benefits you speak of? I'm taxed and get nothing tangible in return. I refer to income taxes only. We must have some tax structure, but they can be something other than stealing the sweat off one's back. Those constitutional taxes are already specified in Article 1 section 8 of the Constitution. This "fiar share" crap should stop. A good chunk of it goes only to pay interest on the national debt. You call that a benefit? It is - for those reaping the profits on the interest payments! Wow, my tax bucks at work.
Well, the military is the largest single part of the budget. You get them in exchange for the sweat off your back, don't you? After that, medicare and medicaid - I'm getting the impression that you never intend to avail yourself of these services, but lots of people who never intended to, do. Maybe you never intend to have children, or drive on the interstate, or breathe clean air, or go to a national park. The Federal government (of, by, and for the people) does all that with our tax money. What will you get rid of?

I've already addressed why the taxes being levies are constitutional. The national debt and deficit are a huge problem. The budget must be balanced. That's a different issue, however.

Quote:
I have read the books "The Law That Never Was."...
Did you read the wikipedia article?

The Law that Never Was - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73