View Single Post
Old 04-13-2010, 01:22 PM   #371 (permalink)
Cynthetiq
Tilted Cat Head

Administrator
Las, I was waiting until you answered, just in case there was something I wasn't aware of.

I would not suggest the GeForce series if you are using them for video editing. It isn't optimized for video editing. The Quadro FX line is built just for that reason. If you are going to be doing video editing.

Check out this link as it has the basics for DIY NLE systems.

Videoguys Blog - Videoguys' System Recommendations for Video Editing

Quote:
Why we recommend a dual head graphics cards
It's all about real-estate. With two monitors you can stretch your timeline across the bottom of both screens and you can have more windows open at the same time. This means you spend less time opening and closing windows or scrolling through the timeline. As a result, you are more productive. Adobe, Avid & Sony all have optimized preset screen layouts for dual monitors.

We recommend nVidia Quadro based graphics cards for video editing because of their superb Open GL support. Adobe Premiere Pro, Photoshop & After FX, Avid Media Composer, Red Giant Magic Bullet & Boris FX all take advantage of Open GL. You will see more and more video editing software take advantage of Open GL GPU power as new versions of NLEs get released. This is the key the reason why we recommend Quadro cards over less expensive 3D gaming cards. While you can do fine with a 3D gaming card, Quadro cards are designed and engineered for this kind of work - and the NLE engineers are optimizing their applications to take advantage of this GPU Open GL power.
I don't care if you are black, white, purple, green, Chinese, Japanese, Korean, hippie, cop, bum, admin, user, English, Irish, French, Catholic, Protestant, Jewish, Buddhist, Muslim, indian, cowboy, tall, short, fat, skinny, emo, punk, mod, rocker, straight, gay, lesbian, jock, nerd, geek, Democrat, Republican, Libertarian, Independent, driver, pedestrian, or bicyclist, either you're an asshole or you're not.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54