View Single Post
Old 03-15-2010, 06:11 PM   #32 (permalink)
Idyllic
Psycho

response to roachboy, posted 9:24p, sorry guys, I'm still trying to figure this out....

[Cynthia Dunbar, a lawyer from Richmond who is a strict constitutionalist and thinks the nation was founded on Christian beliefs, managed to cut Thomas Jefferson from a list of figures whose writings inspired revolutions in the late 18th century and 19th century, replacing him with St. Thomas Aquinas, John Calvin and William Blackstone. (Jefferson is not well liked among conservatives on the board because he coined the term “separation between church and state.”)]

You can find this in the original quote in the initial discussion of this topic.

My point also, how could they possibly replace any American with St. Aquinas, this was were I began to suspect arbitrary involvement, and not mine.

---------- Post added at 10:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:57 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by dippin View Post
Yes, there are other ways people can learn about things outside of school. However, that is absolutely beside the point.

On top of that, I don't see how this thread benefits from random snark about random news blurbs.

Isn't that where you found Chavez and Thurgood, random news blurbs. This debate is merely personal opinions. Unless you live in TX and have children enrolled in their school system, all of our responses are hypothetical, when do we discuss true actions. Just because I reference my opinions with information that discuss this issue doesn't change my desire to understand what has happened in TX, and it's relevance is obvious, remember you brought in Chavez and Thurgood.

BTW this topic was started on somebody’s (James C. McKinley, Jr.) snarky and arbitrary interpretation of the happenings recently. If you view my comments as sarcastic, I would say, you’re missing my point. I'm merely attempting to be witty in this discussion. I am not ranting; on the contrary, at times I agree that the situation seems pretty drastic. However, I do not feel all the facts have been properly exposed for me to make a hard decision. McKinley did exactly what you are digging me for, he piecemealed a paper together that supported what HE wanted to portrait, at least I wasn’t that one-sided.

My point was not about learning outside of school, although that's extraordinarily important. My point is that parental involvement is key in our children’s' educational development. I also understand you can't cram all the information you or I find pertinent down a 5th graders throat. These people have to pick and choose who and what they believe to be the most important people and issues for a student at their age, during their time in history, sounds daunting to me. If anything I think our educational system should be applauded, it's not perfect, nor will it ever, but I’ll take, and I think my kids are pretty damn smart.

I really have enjoyed this conversation/debate; I have found it both educational and spirited. I sincerely apologize if I have offended you, that was not my intent. In the end, the question was, “What can we do?” The answer is; get involved. You can make a difference in your child’s education both in and out of school, I have.

Now that I feel as though you have slapped me squarely on my hand for not conforming properly, are we done? Now, that was a snide remark.

---------- Post added at 10:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:05 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlatan View Post
Who's drinking the kool-aid now?
If being an American, being proud of my country and grateful to live in this amazing nation means I’m drinking the kool-aid, just go ahead and pour me another cup. Tastes like Yuengling to me.

Last edited by Idyllic; 03-15-2010 at 05:59 PM..

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62