View Single Post
Old 03-15-2010, 09:58 AM   #24 (permalink)
Idyllic
Psycho

Quote:
Originally Posted by dippin View Post
You do understand that the issue is not that the Texas board of education is replacing democrats with republicans or anything like that, right? That the issue is that they are replacing leaders of the civil rights movement with republicans, right? Even the staunchest republican would recognize that there is a difference between voting for something in congress once it's become a foregone conclusion and leading a march down in the south before it.

Oh, and the semantics of republican vs democrat are kind of irrelevant.

Huh, ok, most of the leaders of the “Civil Rights Acts” movements were Republicans. Prior to Abraham Lincoln and the Civil Rights Act of 1863, 90% of African Americans were slaves, had they tried to lead any form of revolt they would have been killed.

If you are referring to St. Strange but Influence and Important Aquinas, or Sir Intellectual William Blackstone, wow, or perhaps the Great Humanist Calvin, none of them were even Americans, let alone Republicans. They are not replacing anybody with “Republicans” they are merely showing how the “hated” Republicans were instrumental in the Civil Right Movements. As for my most admired Thomas Jefferson, whom I believe was one of the greatest men to grace this earth, he founded the Democratic Party in 1792 as a congressional caucus to fight for the Bill of Rights and against the elitist Federalist Party. In 1798, the "party of the common man" was officially named the Democratic-Republican Party and in 1800 elected Jefferson as the first Democratic President of the United States. “Democratic-Republican Party”. No One can replace Thomas Jefferson, He wrote the Declaration of Independence; He was our third President He is on the nickel for Gods sake. Maybe TX will stop letting their kids carry nickels too.

This entire ruckus started by some editor for The Atlantic and apparently the NY Times, who writes about culture, politics, and social issues. He cut and pieced, just like most people do, to fit his story and make a page zing, apparently it worked. I don’t buy it, I think he’s being indulgent, I want to read these revision myself before I make any negative remarks about what they are changing, and I seriously doubt they are doing our children any injustices, at least no more than the educational system has already done. Still the best in the world, just my opinion.

This was posted on Mensnewsdaily.com: Imaginary Frienders Cut Thomas Jefferson From Texas Curriculum
Sunday, March 14, 2010
By Amy Alkon
Imaginary Frienders Cut Thomas Jefferson From Texas Curriculum
James C. McKinley, Jr. writes for The New York Times about religious conservatives' rather disgusting influence on the Texas social studies curriculum. As a fiscal conservative who's socially libertarian and an atheist, I wish people wouldn't paint all conservatives with the same brush (as they do in the headline and as McKinley does in the piece). An excerpt about the Jefferson bit:
Cynthia Dunbar, a lawyer from Richmond who is a strict constitutionalist and thinks the nation was founded on Christian beliefs, managed to cut Thomas Jefferson from a list of figures whose writings inspired revolutions in the late 18th century and 19th century, replacing him with St. Thomas Aquinas, John Calvin and William Blackstone. (Jefferson is not well liked among conservatives on the board because he coined the term "separation between church and state.")

Like I said, it’s all in what YOU want to believe, until YOU decide to do the research yourself and make your own collage of “facts.”

Replace historical leaders with republicans, Really? That’s what you got from what I posted, Ouch.

Enough with the EGG thing, you still haven't explained to me where Mitochondria came from other than prokaryotes, or better tell me where the archaea originated please, until then, I believe it was God....we can go deeper, atom, nucleus, proton, electron, they all started somewhere, somehow, who's to say it wasn't God, other than the atheists, ya'll are killin' me. I gotta meet the bus, the bus driver won't be happy. Make me laugh.

---------- Post added at 01:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:54 PM ----------

My husbands gonna kill me, I haven't even done the dishes, I need to turn this thing off and get back to my Wifely duties....... I'll be back! bus bus bus

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62