View Single Post
Old 03-13-2010, 06:54 PM   #23 (permalink)
pan6467
Lennonite Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baraka_Guru View Post
I didn't mean to imply that I would have medication forced upon me; what I meant to say is that a recommendation and prescription of a course of antidepressants would be the likely outcome. In Canada, psychologists cannot prescribe medication, psychiatrists do. I would be open to going to a psychologist, but unfortunately only psychiatry is covered by public health care in Ontario. So the route I see is my GP referring me to a psychiatrist, who in turn would prescribe me an antidepressant. I don't think this would be forced upon me, no, but I do see this as the most likely outcome. At least 4 people in my immediate family have had an antidepressant prescribed to them.

I think the big hangup for me is that I read about my symptoms on the Internet, and it tells me it's depression. Yeah, I know this could be wrong. Internet symptom searches are usually a bad idea. But what do I do? Go to my GP and say, "Oh, hey, nothing hurts and my health is otherwise pretty good, but, you know, I'm pretty sure I'm suffering from depression. Do you think I should get a referral? I can't afford a psychologist, so how about one of those doctors who can prescribe the meds? I hear that's covered by the province."

/rant
That is the 2nd biggest problem here in the states, I believe. The fact that the vast majority of insurance companies AND government financed insurance will only cover at MOST 50% of any psychological treatments with a very low maximum lifetime allowance (and addiction treatment is sometimes less than that). Yet, the Psychiatric drugs are treated as all others and thus depending on the drug (generic or not) and the policy's deductible it is far, far easier to just get the pills. Plus, once diagnosed with a mental illness, you will ALWAYS have that diagnosis so good luck with "pre-existing" coverages.

I also think it shows that insurance companies and even the government care is in bed with the pharmaceuticals because anyone with half a brain would realize that maybe a year of weekly therapy and semi-monthly checkups, would be cheaper in the long run than paying out for a lifetime of expensive prescribed drugs that in the end need changed because of tolerances and trying to get the "right" combination

Even companies that have some type of EAP (employee assistance program) in place the number of visits is extremely limited, usually 5 or 6. Then, if your community has a funded place that goes by sliding scale based on income, the cost may not seem like much, but if you make too much or the percentage means you have to cut back on necessities, you can't afford it (Or you convince yourself you can't.)

Now, if you have any serious problems and need therapy, 5 or 6 appointments (and the first is mostly just the fricking paperwork and introductions) you aren't going to get far. For me personally, it took almost 2 months before I trusted mine enough to open up and start talking about the issues I needed to and according to him, this is very common.

Most people don't want to discuss their issues and problems for fear of being labeled, knowing they have limited time, are used to living with them and even though they may not like where the problems lead feel it is what they know and are ok with it. (Example: If every time you succeed, you self destruct, you may become accustomed to that cycle and won't want to break it because you know the "highs" will come. It isn't until the "highs" start shrinking and the "lows" are taking over completely, that you decide to go forth. Then, once it looks like your life is getting better and you can't afford to go, you stop and the cycles start repeating.

I truly believe that insurance AND/OR a national healthcare system needs to treat mental illnesses with the same effort as cancers, diabetes or heart disease and so on. Yeah, pumping meds out maybe cheaper but they mask the problems and eventually won't work. And yes, therapy maybe expensive but mental illness leads to physical illnesses such as hypertension, diabetes, obesity, attempted suicides, addictions (NOT just drugs and alcohol), malnutrition, and so on. Those end up costing the system far, far more in the long run.

Imagine if someone could go see a psychologist/ LPC/ etc and know that they have unlimited visits and that it's just not going to be meds thrown at them. That through work with individual and possibly group therapies, we may see long term improvements, fewer setbacks and a healthier society.

I just think society and the people making the money decisions have it backwards. It's NOT mask the problems with drugs and oh yeah... get a few counseling sessions in. It should be, get counseling and use the drugs as a tool solely to enhance the effort and effects of the counseling.
I just love people who use the excuse "I use/do this because I LOVE the feeling/joy/happiness it brings me" and expect you to be ok with that as you watch them destroy their life blindly following. My response is, "I like to put forks in an eletrical socket, just LOVE that feeling, can't ever get enough of it, so will you let me put this copper fork in that electric socket?"

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62