View Single Post
Old 03-09-2010, 07:55 PM   #32 (permalink)
cementor
Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaultboy View Post
Your post is defeatist. "The world will change regardless of what we do, but we have a responsibility to try to do something."

Climate change "scaremongers" are actually saying the exact same thing. Many of them just proclaim that we've reached that "point of no return", whereas you clearly deny this. Across much of the world the emphasis is already on disaster relief instead of climate change mitigation or planning for adaptation. I believe we need all three - the first for the polulation, the second for settlements, and the third for all life on the planet. Whilst it is a given that the earth will change, the thing most people don't realise is that the rate of change is the primary issue of concern as far as adaptation is concerned. Earth's ecosystems and biodiversity need both time and space to adapt, and we've accelerated the change.
Vaultboy, I don't think I'm a defeatist, I am more of a pragmatist. I simply don't buy into a lot of what is being sold. I have a strong skeptisism regarding the warming issues, that many others accept. My reason for this is the dishonesty of the governing and reporting entities. If you give me boat loads of data and I choose to use some data that suit my agenda while knowingly disregarding data that disputes my agenda, I am a liar. This is exactly what has occurred. They trashed my trust, because they doctored the data, and as an engineer ansd science guy that is unforgivable. That doesn't mean I'm going to pollute because I can, it means I will do my part because it is the right thing to do and because I want to. I have to live in this world as well. Your last statement we agree on totally. The ecosystem need time and space to adapt. That is my reasoning for the steps I take personally and the message I pass to others.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54