View Single Post
Old 02-21-2010, 02:42 PM   #8 (permalink)
Martian
Young Crumudgeon

Eep.

Never give your dog table scraps. Bad call.

Your breeder sucks. Sorry. In this case, I'm going to go ahead and say ignore her. I know I'm contradicting myself in saying that, but there you are. AKC/CKC registered breeders are often knowledgeable, specifically regarding their breeds, but sometimes you get a bad one. This is why references are also important, but it's a bit past that point now.

Crate training is important for a number of reasons. One is that it's a good way to keep the dog out of trouble; since you probably can't be home 24/7, if you can crate her when you're away and she won't be getting into anything she shouldn't. This is for your convenience and sanity, and also for her safety -- as willravel's recent thread highlights, discretion is not always a dog's strong suit.

Apart from that, it's very important that your dog have a 'safe haven' to go to when she's uncomfortable or nervous. A crate is the best option for this, since it's a nice enclosed space, it's cozy and it is indisputably hers.

I promise you your dog will not mind the crate. In fact, it's probable that she'll love it. The only exception to this is when dogs experience trauma associated with their crate, which usually requires the intervention of a good professional trainer to overcome.

Raw food is not a good idea. Just don't do it. For your pet it's not necessary; it doesn't provide any significant benefits and the risks are high (extreme illness, death). Just get a good commercial chow. I've seen dozens if not hundreds of dogs raised on it and fed it for life. They've lived long, healthy and happy lives with no ill effects whatsoever.

(My 'cred', as it were, is that my step father is an active breeder of bulldogs and bullmastiffs; I grew up in a kennel environment and participated in the care and training of a great many of the pups who passed through).
I get through speakin' and I can't remember, not a word that I said

- Ben Harper, Show Me A Little Shame

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54