View Single Post
Old 02-05-2010, 09:57 PM   #8 (permalink)
Grancey
Life's short, gotta hurry...

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Jazz View Post
They did ok by me for about 3 years, but then we got a better deal froM APX, including an upgraded system.
Red talked to APX today, and they mentioned a 7 point system and directed him to the website. He didn't find a good explanation on the website so what is a 7 point system?

---------- Post added at 11:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:45 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Dunedan View Post
Not a bad idea, if you can afford it. My point is this; that you made the correct "order of purchase" decisions in this regard, IMO. A dog makes a wonderful alarm system; so do chickens, geese, and Jesus Christ Almighty Yes Guinea-fowl. The Mossberg is indeed a first-class choice. The alarm system serves as a backup, in the unlikely event that your home is penetrated by thieves or others stealthy enough to evade avoid the dogs' (or yardfowl's) hearing, esp. if it has an audible countdown feature. If a thief runs away before you can shoot him, it's better for all involved. Who knows? The little bugger might rehabilitate himself on fear alone. Unlikely, but possible. But in prioritising home-security measures, it's best IMO to start at the "top:" ie that which will, when needed, allow a person to defend themselves and their family with the kind of close-range firepower which -decides- such situations. In the 1700s, this meant a blunderbuss. In the 1800s, it meant a sawn-off shotgun, and in the 20th and 21st centuries it has consistently meant a short, large-capacity shotgun. Good: Mossberg 500 or Rem 870. Better: Browning A-5, Mossberg 590, Rem. 11-87. Best: Saiga-12, possibly a suitably reliable Mossberg or Remington with a Sidewinder drum. For "repelling boarders" at close range, nothing beats a shotgun.
We are already looking at dogs. Haven't decided on a puppy or pound/rescued dog. Friends say to get a lab. Others say get two. I'm a cat person, and I've never had a large dog. As for a shotgun, I've been leaning towards the judge. My brother thinks the recoil may be too much for me, being female. But I think it would be much easier for me to carry around when I need to...There are rattlesnakes, water moccasins, and the slight potential for wild dogs to consider. What do you think? So, we are considering these things and a security system.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62