View Single Post
Old 01-18-2010, 01:57 PM   #5 (permalink)
wooÐs
Sitting in a tree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stare At The Sun View Post
I just got done reading yet another soul crushing email that informed me that they have hired someone else instead of me.

A little background is in order though I suppose...I have a Bachelor's and a Master's Degree in Criminal Justice. I earned extremely good grades throughout my academic career (3.55 GPA in undergrad, 3.97 GPA in graduate school.) I worked as a graduate assistant at a top tier research school, and yet I can't land an entry level job in my field anywhere in the US.

Every interview I go to, they are interviewing at least 6 other people, and most of them are older with more actual experience in the field than me (but less education). How am I supposed to compete with people that have 10+ years of experience as a counselor, or a probation officer? I've got a great education, but I've yet to interview at a place where that held the same weight as an equivalent amount of work experience.

I'm really starting to become cynical about the whole process, granted I've only been looking for 5 months, but that seems like a long time to look for a job and find nothing. It's very tough getting rejected by companies over and over again.

Just to make ends meet I've taken a job as a waiter at a local restaurant. It's not as if I think I'm above waiting tables, but it is a bit frustrating to have spent so much time in college, and really have nothing to show for it other than 2 pieces of paper and a lot of seemingly useless knowledge.

I want to make a difference in the Criminal Justice system, either through being a probation officer, a pre-trail officer, or a youth counselor or just a counselor in general, but I can't seem to find a place where I can do that.

So, other than a big rant, I guess I'm asking the TFP for a bit of advice on what to do/how to improve my chances. Any advice would be great.

Thanks in advance ^_^.
Use this as your cover letter^^

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54