View Single Post
Old 12-05-2009, 04:19 PM   #28 (permalink)
pan6467
Lennonite Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangers20082008 View Post
I'm in college and am sitting home on a friday night feeling like a loser. Question is, after college do people still go out every weekend, or is it considered normal to entertain yourself, by yourself, on a weekend night?
You sound like me when I was going to Hiram College. 95% of the student body left on weekends for either Cleveland, Kent State, Youngstown, etc to party down. I was pretty much always in that 5% that stayed. For me, I felt pretty fuck lame and ended up having serious problems that affected me for many years after (drink, gambling, low self esteem, etc.).

I think college is tough for most. It's your true first independence in life. Many see it as a chance to socialize meet people from different backgrounds and so on.

The media and movies tell us college is not supposed to be boring. Right? According to them, we're all supposed to party hearty and be out all weekend enjoying ourselves. Hell, I evened joined a frat, but was too shy and had such a low self esteem I kept to myself.

It is very hard if you are introverted and have problems making friends with strangers and so on, like I did, to find people wanting to out in public with you. And it feels awkward to go by yourself because you don't know how to talk to people. (That's my personal experience.)

20+ years removed I look back and there were fun times and there were people who tried to be my friend I just didn't know what that meant or how to act and drove people away. Drinking till you throw up, making an ass of yourself every time out and so on will drive people away.

My suggestion is to find people that share the same hobbies/goals/etc you do and to have fun. Control your drinking, don't binge and lose control.

Trust me there are a lot of people out there like you who would love to have fun they just maybe too shy or scared to ask. Find your inner strength and confidence and find them.

Speaking from experience, it can be just as lonely and boring surrounded by 100's of people as it can be by yourself. You need to find your inner comfort level, once there all else falls into place.

As for going out after college. I think the media (movies, tv, books) make it seem like the vast majority do. But this day and age, all the DUI laws and the economy, most people stay in, maybe have friends over.
I just love people who use the excuse "I use/do this because I LOVE the feeling/joy/happiness it brings me" and expect you to be ok with that as you watch them destroy their life blindly following. My response is, "I like to put forks in an eletrical socket, just LOVE that feeling, can't ever get enough of it, so will you let me put this copper fork in that electric socket?"

Last edited by pan6467; 12-05-2009 at 04:21 PM..

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54