View Single Post
Old 12-03-2009, 09:42 AM   #17 (permalink)
Cynthetiq
Tilted Cat Head

Administrator
Quote:
Originally Posted by kutulu View Post
You have a problem with packaging that shows what allergins may be present in a product? Really? How the fuck does a label affect your life? It doesn't cost any money to list allergins on packaging and it could save someone's life. Yes, when carried out to an extreme like banning peanuts at a school it is ridiculous.
Since I've been studying the food service industry for the past 4 years it's quite annoying. The food allergy groups are discussing labeling that is consistent across the board, so thus when the Peanut Allergens group certifies that you clean your machines and don't have peanut products tainting your machines or foodstuffs, you get a certification, then you get to put the Peanut Free label on the outside of your product. This doesn't come for free. It's a cost born to the manufacturer or producers. This is not much different than yet another kashurus (kosher certification) for labeling a product kosher. This can mean the difference of sales or not sales in certain stores or markets.

So if as a small business I contract to a food processor that also processes food that has nuts, even if my product does not contain nuts, I have to put that on the outside of my package that it is produced on machines that have processed nuts.

This can cost me potential sales both present and future, because if I move to a different plant that does not use nuts, the consumer may not ever pick up my product ever again to check to see that it doesn't have any peanut taint.

This cost is ALWAYS passed onto the consumer.

and as far as the fatality vs. injury, that's a major flaw in the discussion. The point is that I could be hit by a bus and if there were fences that only opened to allow me to cross the street when the light was green... a few dollars here and a few dollars there.

The problem with the car seat isn't that it's about saving $50 it's about being FORCED by law to no longer have the choice or decision to make the choice. It's a REQUIREMENT in pretty much all states.
I don't care if you are black, white, purple, green, Chinese, Japanese, Korean, hippie, cop, bum, admin, user, English, Irish, French, Catholic, Protestant, Jewish, Buddhist, Muslim, indian, cowboy, tall, short, fat, skinny, emo, punk, mod, rocker, straight, gay, lesbian, jock, nerd, geek, Democrat, Republican, Libertarian, Independent, driver, pedestrian, or bicyclist, either you're an asshole or you're not.

Last edited by Cynthetiq; 12-03-2009 at 09:46 AM..

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73