View Single Post
Old 10-18-2009, 12:53 PM   #1 (permalink)
ASU2003
immoral minority

What things determine what political ideology you believe in

Is it your parents and family that have the biggest influence?
Is it your education and how teachers present certain info?
Is it your socio-economic standing either growing up or currently?
Does the media and who you feel you can trust to tell you what is really going on influence people?
Do your friends or religion impact your feelings on issues?
Could anonymous people on the Internet change your mind, or make it easier to find more people that agree with you?
Is it a few life experiences either positive or negative that change how you think government should be run?
Is it your interactions and feelings towards other people that make you think they should be responsible for themselves or should get helped out?

And the big question, do you think the DNC and GOP (in the USA) know this info and are implementing policy to try and get more voters?

I thought of this question while listening to someone talk about charter schools and why public schools that had unions weren't as good in America as the charter school model. Now that is a debate for another thread, but I felt if they were trying to convince me, why wouldn't they try and convince the kids that are going to the charter school that they are better than the public school kids. It appears that once people define who they are, it takes a lot to change that. They listen and watch news reporting that re-enforces their beliefs, they make friends easier with people who share their beliefs, and they don't want to be wrong.

For me, even though I was 5 or 6, I knew my parents and grandparents didn't like Reagan. They had pictures of Kennedy still. My Dad was neutral and kpt his politics to himself, but I would say he is a Bill O'Reilly kind of guy on the middle-right, but left on some issues. I've had friends with various views on all the issues, but I usually keep my views to myself.

I don't feel like I fit in with any one political party. I look like a republican, live like a green, and feel that the democrats have the right ideas for running the government. I still listen to multiple news sources, but I think some of them are trying to warp the news to what they think their viewers want to hear instead of the simple truth. They have too many people with lots of opinions instead of facts on what is actually happening. But as I get older, I feel stronger about what I think is the right direction for this country to go in. However if I had a business, or had a trust fund, I may feel differently.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73