View Single Post
Old 07-05-2009, 03:56 AM   #4 (permalink)
little_tippler
Leaning against the -Sun-

Super Moderator
This is a tough one. You seem to be asking us for ideas on what to do when you meet, but then also what we think of the whole situation.

I'll start by saying that LDR's suck, and the younger you are, the harder it will be to keep going. I also wonder if maybe you're a lot more excited than she is? Did she suggest you meet on the first week of college or did you? Seems like an odd time to want to meet. I guess these things are never very rational.

I agree with Shell that you should lower expectations. She could be The One, or she could not. Maybe you think she's awesome, but it could be a passing thing, and there are lots of amazing girls out there, trust me. You're so young, I think you should keep things open and if it works, great, if it doesn't that's ok too. At 19, you have all your life ahead of you.

I don't think you should worry about being boring or trying to make yourself be different than you are. Can you seriously tell me you can handle, and want to be in, a relationship where you can't be yourself and want what you want? It doesn't work if right off the bat you're trying to be someone you're not. It just means that later, when you relax and are more natural, you'll be setting her up to be disappointed because she's come to expect the facade and not the reality. Do you feel that you've been honest with her and really shown her your true self so far? If she wants to meet you that badly, and knows you relatively well, right now it's more about whether physical interaction and harmony will happen than anything else.

I'm not talking about sex. I'm talking about sharing space, being with each other, watching each other, talking in person. Sex comes after that.

Inevitably, from lack of experience, you will likely fumble. You're not going to suddenly turn into Don Juan and know what to do. But maybe if she's so experienced, she will like to take control for a while and show you the ropes. It may be fun. Like Shell said, stay protected! Very, very important.

Date ideas - not knowing this girl, or her tastes, it's hard to say. She doesn't like things to get too corny? Take her hiking somewhere beautiful, it's an active date so there's more rawness to it, take along a blanket and some wine so later you can hang out in the wilderness together. Other active types of dates could be fun. Paintball? Rock-climbing? If they're available where you're going. If she's not the corny type, I'd say originality and a fun date are the ticket. Not sure on dates for the whole week, but maybe once you get to know her your anxiety will die down and it won't matter so much what you do as long as you're together. Good luck!
Our soul from us is infinitely far.
However much we give our thoughts the will
To be our soul and gesture it abroad,
Our hearts are incommunicable still.
In what we show ourselves we are ignored.
The abyss from soul to soul cannot be bridged
By any skill of thought or trick of seeming.
Unto our very selves we are abridged
When we would utter to our thought our being.
We are our dreams of ourselves, souls by gleams,
And each to each other dreams of others' dreams.

Fernando Pessoa, 1918

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62