View Single Post
Old 06-26-2009, 11:59 AM   #1 (permalink)
squeeeb
part of the problem

chicken livers for people who don't like liver. trust me on this one.

i was never a fan of liver, but i made this and i like it. really it's that good. you don't get that nasty "liver" taste, and when you do taste "liver" it blends with the other flavors.

the cool thing about chicken livers is, they are cheap as hell. i got a small bucket of them for 87 cents. at that price, you can't afford NOT to buy them.

the recipe is a middle eastern dish . breaded fried chicken livers with a dipping sauce.

first get a bunch of chicken livers, trim away the sinew and fatty bits, put them in a bowl, cover them with milk, and soak them in the refrigerator for a few hours (i soaked mine for about 4 hours).

make the dipping sauce -

mix up -

mayonnaise
bit of lemon zest
bit of lemon juice
chopped chives

put in refrigerator.

to make the breading -

mix up a cup of bread crumbs
1/3 cup of dukkah (recipe at bottom)
grated parmesan cheese
zest of 1/2 lemon.

when your livers are done soaking, put them in a colander and rinse with cold water. pat them dry.

set up a breading station.

one plate of flour
one plate of eggwash (scramble up an egg)
one bowl of the breading
a clean plate.

dip liver into flour, then egg, then breadcrumbs, then on plate. when all livers are ready to go, fry them up in a skillet with about 1/2 inch deep oil (or more if you want). when you take them out of the oil, hit them with some sea salt or kosher salt. serve hot with the cool lemony sauce.

*dukkah recipe in case you didn't see it elsewhere

for the basic dukkah mix, you need

1/2 cup hazelnuts (or pistacios, or almonds, or a even toasted garbonzo beans. or a mixture of them)
1/4 cup coriander seeds
3 tablespoons sesame seeds
2 tablespoons cumin seeds
1 tablespoon black peppercorns
1 teaspoon salt

toast the nuts and seeds, throw it all in a mortar and pestle or spice grinder, and grind em up. DO NOT make a paste out of it.

you can also add

thyme
mint
fennel

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54