Thread: Smoking ...
View Single Post
Old 06-24-2009, 11:07 AM   #29 (permalink)
LordEden
Paladin of the Palate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xerxys View Post
I did consider this but really I couldn't come up with another option. To compensate for my lack of creativity why do you say other? If your OK with others smoking, have a couple once in a while yourself I think you fall in the second category ...

Whats interesting is I'm kinda like you LordEden but I don't smoke at all.
I didn't put myself in the second category because I don't mind being around it, it truly doesn't bother me. The only time I've had a problem with being in a cloud of smoke, the bars I go to you could cut it with a chainsaw, was when I had a cold and couldn't breathe. I let people smoke in my car because I never cleaned the "ashtray" smell out of it, but I don't smoke in it. People don't smoke in my house because I don't smoke in my house. When I lived with roommates that smoked, I smoked in the house, but if it is my choice I don't have people smoke in it. I'm weird.

I was just thinking of a lump-all category of other:explain and let people describe why in their post after voting in the poll.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xerxys View Post

This is my point exactly. IF smoking had seriously all these repercussions ... then why in heavens name is it still legal? Isn't the drugs being illegal thing justified by pundits saying that they are protecting us from ourselves? I find heavy irony in the whole thing.
My home state is one of the biggest reasons why it isn't illegal, North Carolina was THE state for tobacco, it was one our biggest cash crops. We have the cheapest cigarettes in the US and one of the few states left with BOGO free packs. A year ago I was buying $2.75 packs of Camel Lights. I smoked a brand that was $2 a pack till I quit.

I think they can't make it illegal, but will make it so hard to get with taxes and laws against smoking, it's almost a passive aggressive illegalization. Yes you can own/smoke cigarettes, after paying $10 in taxes, but you can't smoke them in public, your car, your work, any place that serves food or liquor. Therefor you are paying outrageous taxes on something that you can only do in your home (if your landlord lets you). A friend of mine just quit for the cost aspect and the fact that our town is going "smoke-free" in 6 months. My favorite 500-sqft dive bar is going to be non-smoking, unless they get the cigar bar license that they asked for goes through.
Vice-President of the CinnamonGirl Fan Club - The Meat of the Zombiesquirrel and CinnamonGirl Sandwich

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73