Thread: Smoking ...
View Single Post
Old 06-22-2009, 11:09 PM   #1 (permalink)
Xerxys
Junkie

Smoking ...

So, I just googled "second hand smoke ..." and instantly there came up facts/myth/studies/effects/and pregnancy etc etc etc. Friends I am really curious and I turn to you because I don't trust google. Cigarette smoke is irritable to those who don't smoke and the results of my google search were massive anti-smoke campaigns with only three or four badly written pro-smoking sites strewn here and there.

There was another thread dealing with it being alright (your right) to smoke and the common answer was "yes it is, but it is also my right not to walk out of a door and have a cloud of smoke in my face". I'm gonna try and not step on the non smokers toes here as well as the smokers too.

Here are truths that I accept of smoking:

1. It is the number 1 cause of lung cancer amongst smokers.
I added "amongst smokers" because I honestly feel if you presented with a case of lung cancer to a doctor and told him you started smoking three weeks ago he/she won't look anywhere else to find the cause. In this we present new problems. I mean, cancer is caused after a prolonged time of some sort of abuse.

2. It is the number 1 cause of lung cancer amongst second hand (non) smokers.
Another problem presents itself here, what about cooks and people who work in coal mines (mines really) oil rigs/refineries and other smoke related occupations? Do they have the same issues as smokers?

Now because I don't smoke it makes no sense to me. Why is it not illegal?

Quote:
The EPA estimates that passive smoking is responsible for between 150,000 and 300,000 of these infections in children under 18 months annually
I mean really? This has to be a lie. I did another careless search on Car crashes statistics and ...

Quote:
In 2005, there were almost 6.5 million automobile accidents in the United States. Almost 3 million people were injured and more than 45,000 died. On average, another person dies in a car crash every 13 seconds in this country - that's 115 deaths per day
So, I justify the car crashes as necessities because we have to MOVE places but smoking ... not really. If smoking does indeed cause all the problems associated with it, then it being legal is plain dumb!!

I mean - asthma, third hand smoke **chuckles** - heart disease - lung cancer in nonsmoking adults - sudden infant death syndrome (SIDS) - respiratory infections in children. etc etc etc. I DON'T BELIEVE ANY OF IT. It has to be a lie, smoking can't have all these effects and still be legal.

My take on smoking, I'm a non smoker. Honestly, it irritates the fuck out of me, blow smoke in my face and I will cut you where you stand - I mean WTF?! ... well, to be honest just blowing in my face pisses me off but still, I have nothing against smoking besides it annoys me. If all the data readily available to me is this bad, then it should be illegal by now.

What do you guys think about smoking? It's effects, and media sensationalization of the topic at hand?

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73