View Single Post
Old 05-30-2009, 06:12 AM   #6 (permalink)
dlish
Currently sour but formerly Dlishs

Super Moderator
nimetic...

how did we not get any negatives? ive bolded my concerns.

in saying that, they get a lot more stars than where im currently living sure its nice place to live here, as long as you toe the line

Quote:
Indigenous Peoples’ rights
In February, the government made an historic apology to the “Stolen Generations” – Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people who as children were forcibly removed from their families. However, the government opposed compensation. The government pledged to “close the gap” between Indigenous Peoples and other Australians but opposed the UN Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples.
Quote:
Australian law allowing pre-charge detention for terrorism suspects remained in force. The law remains incompatible with international law.
Quote:
Refugees and asylum-seekers
In August, the government finalized the abolition of Temporary Protection Visas for asylum-seekers.

In January, the government closed its offshore detention facility on the island nation of Nauru. In May, the UN Committee against Torture expressed concern that the detention facility on Christmas Island was still in use. Despite this, Australia began use of a new high security facility on the Island in December.

In July, the government announced that asylum-seekers would be temporarily detained for identity, health and security checks, but only those who posed a risk to society would remain in detention. At the end of the year, this commitment had not been implemented.

I always sign my facebook comments with ()()===========(}. Does that make me gay?
- Filthy

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54