View Single Post
Old 05-12-2009, 09:07 AM   #40 (permalink)
thespian86
change is hard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crompsin View Post
Uh... the depth of the abstractness here has me lost. How does this fit with hoo-munz?
hahaha perhaps I'm completely off base or I'm making no sense.

What I'm infering is that to mindlessly mow your lawn (something like eating, driving, etc, that takes no real presence of mind) is similar to indifference; with the definition being something like "as much, or as little, interest in either object/task as the other." Because I'm assuming your response of "indifference is socially inert" implied you think being indifferent or passive is socially perverse; that it is healthy to "pick a side" or "have an opinion".

Hate on the other hand is what I would describe as a thoughtless act as well, but with a destructive and passionate root; something similar to lighting your lawn on fire for the sake of cutting it. It's excessive and needless but it gets the job done.

So my analogy describes a lawn that needs to be mowed. You can do it thoughtlessly without care for or against the lawn. The lawn might not look perfectly but it will suffice. Even deeper, you might say your lack of care means not mowing at all. It'll look shabby but it's there. Or you could light it on fire and get rid of the same grass; it's crude and needless but it gets the job done too. You risk destroying your home, your car, your deck, your neighbors home, etc.

I guess another point I should have made is indifference doesn't imply ignorance. You can completely understand either side and all of it's intricacies and still not care for one more then the other. Hate implies an ignorant and fiery dislike for something that could reach destructive and catostrophic levels (see: hate crimes).

Of course I'm implying that you can't truely hate something you understand because understanding provides the ability to remove it from your life or at least have it explained away with logic. I could give an example but that would be tedious. And if you choose to "hate something" after it's completely understood you're being obtuse and ignorant. You can dislike things but to hate it is to want it abolished.

And I agree. Indifference is a social disease, but equal to, or less than, hate in how it affects said society. And in the case of having someone not care about my needs, or having someone want to work to take away my means for fulfilling said needs, I'll take indifference. Both are bad. Indifference is better.

I hope that makes sense.
ME: So, not much.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73