View Single Post
Old 05-08-2009, 05:36 AM   #4 (permalink)
fresnelly
Functionally Appropriate

Most of my recommendations here are for downtownish restaurants:

If you're eating with a large group, you've got to go for Dim Sum! The best in the city (balance of price and quality) is The Bright Pearl on Spadina, right in the heart of Chinatown. The servers push carts laden with dumplings and other goodies around the room and you choose what you want as they pass by your table. Chinatown has a lot to offer on a budget.

For Thai I recommend Salad King on Gould St. at Yonge. It's near the Eaton Centre and right in the middle of the Yonge st. strip and the food is excellent. Just be sure to choose your spice level carefully.

There's a bit of a Gourmet Burger war on right now with new joints popping up monthly. I recommend Craft Burger on King W. near Portland. The Burger Shoppe in the east on Queen. E. is also good and the owners of each are former partners who had a falling out. We benefit!

For a humble and old-time diner, I recommend the Patrician Grill on King E. between Jarvis and Sherbourne. It's been there forever and is no-nonsense but very friendly It's the perfect place for a grilled cheese sandwich.

For authentic Italian thin-crust pizza, I recommend any of the Terroni locations.

Do you already have some restaurants you're thinking about? We can give your our opinions on them if you want.

Good online reviews can be found at the following links:

NOW Magazine // Food & Drink
FOOD REVIEWS : TORONTO RESTAURANTS
Toronto Life: Restaurants

The first two are online versions of the two competing free alt-weekly newspapers available everywhere. Grab one when you're in town to see what's happening. The third is from a magazine sort of like Vanity Fair for Toronto.

Happy gorging!

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54