Thread: Tea Parties
View Single Post
Old 03-24-2009, 11:52 AM   #3 (permalink)
pan6467
Lennonite Priest

Do you know anyone who has attended a tea party?

Yes, a few that are going in Kentucky and Michigan.

Would you consider attending a tea party yourself? If so, why?

I would go if I had the time, because our nation's leaders are not bettering the country for all. Massive bailouts with tax payer money to banks that are raising their credit card rates, fees and tightening credit is a joke. People's lives have been destroyed and the government just doesn't care. People can't pay back student loans, where's the help there? People are barely able to live working 40 hours a week and the government is giving BILLIONS to banks and the rich. There's something truly wrong with this picture.

Are you opposed to the idea of people meeting peacefully to exercise their freedom of speech in the form a tea party?

Absolutely not!!!!!! Of course my parents were hippies and participated in demonstrations against the war in 'Nam. I do feel however, that the government will try to suppress the demonstrations as much as possible, harassing and threatening the participants or even arrest them on trumped up charges. While the media will portray the participants as kooks and weirdos.

Do you see this trend as an insult to the founding fathers of the US constitution, or do you see it as a method of standing up for basic rights?

Absolutely. You cannot tax the middle class into oblivion. My wife and I make close to $50,000 by the time we pay taxes we are on paycheck to paycheck life support. But we do not qualify for any aid from the government. Hell, I can't even get the financial aid to go finish school (even taking cheap online classes) and the loans I do have want paid and we can't afford it. If I take deferments they only last so long but the interest accrues and I end up owing more. But the banks, the rich, get bailouts with my tax money??????? Our infrastructure is falling apart our manufacturing sector is dying and the rich get bailouts?????? Something is very wrong here.

What is the real meaning behind these tea parties - is it as simple as disagreeing with economic policy, or do you think it means more?

I think people are fed up. They are barely making it and the past 30 years government has been moving towards stricter laws against people's rights but using monies to protect the wealthy. We have seen far too many corruptions, scandals, pork spending that makes no sense and helps NOONE, events that show government raids our tax dollars but the people who are out there busting ass and trying hard just to own a little piece of the American dream are being used up, burnt out and thrown away. The government won't help small businesses grow but they'll bend over backwards to help the conglomerates, the government will not help those who work their asses off to go to school to better their lives but will build billion dollar bridges to nowhere. It's both parties raiding the coffers and flat assed stealing from the American people. If the AIG bonuses had not been leaked, NOTHING would have been done, Obama's people knew, Congress knew and NOT one expressed outrage until the news of the bonuses leaked out...... makes me wonder what HASN'T leaked out, where the bailout money is truly going. Banks aren't loaning money, but they are increasing fees, credit card rates and so on.

Something has to be done and to be quite blunt, the man who promised change is more of the same if looked at without any bias either way. He promised he would veto bills until pork spending was taken out... then said "well, I never said that and it's just Bush's fault." He promised change then loaded his cabinet up with cronies that have been in power for many years one way or another and they aren't changing. Congress is pushing through all kinds of new laws but not doing a God Damned thing to help the people except the rich.

In the end when you tax and tax and tax people and do nothing to help them in their time of need and then you legislate them and tackle freedoms away instead of letting private businesses, communities and states decide what is best for their constituents.... the time has come to speak out and demand the voices be heard.
I just love people who use the excuse "I use/do this because I LOVE the feeling/joy/happiness it brings me" and expect you to be ok with that as you watch them destroy their life blindly following. My response is, "I like to put forks in an eletrical socket, just LOVE that feeling, can't ever get enough of it, so will you let me put this copper fork in that electric socket?"

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73