View Single Post
Old 02-24-2009, 05:28 AM   #7 (permalink)
Daval
Junkie

Here is the dough recipe I use:-

2 cups (about 10 ounces) all-purpose flour, plus more as needed
3 eggs
1/2 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
A few drops of water, if needed
1 teaspoon salt

---------- Post added at 08:28 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:24 AM ----------

And my all time favourite filling is a Beet & Ricotta mix:-

4 large or 8 medium roasted beets
2 eggs
1/2 cup ricotta, preferably fresh, drained briefly
20 tablespoons (2 1/2 sticks) butter, melted
Salt and black pepper to taste
2 ounces Parmigiano-Reggiano, or more to taste
Fresh Sage

1. Put the beets in the work bowl of a food processor fitted with the plastic blade and process until they're finely chopped (or chop them finely with a knife or pastry cutter). Transfer to a large bowl and add the eggs, ricotta, and H cup of the melted butter; stir to combine. Season liberally with salt and pepper, stir, taste, and add more salt or pepper if necessary. Refrigerate until ready to use, up to 1 day.

2. To make the ravioli: Lay a length of rolled pasta out on a counter lightly dusted with flour and place small teaspoonfuls of the filling evenly on half of the dough, about 1 inch apart. Brush some water between the mounds of filling so the dough will stick together, and fold the unfilled half of the dough over onto the other, carefully pressing outward from the filling to the edges of the pasta, eliminating any pockets of air. Cut between the ravioli with a pastry wheel or sharp paring knife, and keep the ravioli separate from each other until you are ready to cook. Repeat with the remaining dough and filling. Put a large pot of salted water on to boil and turn the oven on to its lowest setting; warm 4 pasta bowls in it.

3. Drop the ravioli into the boiling salted water, cooking them in batches if necessary. They will take about 3 minutes to cook. When they're done, they will float, the filling will be firm, and the pasta tender.

4. Portion the ravioli out among the warmed pasta plates. Pour some of the remaining melted butter over each portion, sprinkle with fresh sage, grate Parmigiano- Reggiano generously over each to taste. Serve immediately.

The other filling I use is the exact same as above, but I use roasted butternut squash instead of the beets.

These are freaking awesome.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62