View Single Post
Old 02-16-2009, 07:19 PM   #46 (permalink)
pig
pigglet pigglet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear Cub View Post
Those friction arguments can be made regardless of roll orientation, and so can all of the other "easier to tear nonsense."

I'm sorry, but A is NOT easier to tear than B based on physics. The tensile strength of the toilet paper does not vary with orientation, nor does the force you apply, the angle along the horizontal plane at which you tear, and the coefficient of friction on the roller remains the same. If anyone would care to draw up a free body diagram to prove otherwise, by all means do so. Until then, leave your false science out of this debate.
-----Added 16/2/2009 at 08 : 15 : 19-----
And for you religious types, God also favors the B orientation. Just think about all the B's. Bethlehem, Bible, Buttsex, Breasts, its all there, clear as day.
Say Champ, I would have to beg to differ, but allow me to state a few assumptions up front. No offense to any who do not conform to these assumptions...

Super Critical Assumption Numero Uno: Said toilet paper tearer is not a midget.
Super Critical Assumption Numero Dos: All of the various properties of your favorite brand of (hopefully double ply, no lotion) toilet paper are indeed invariant on configuration.
Super Critical Assumption Numero Tres: I am not putting together a free-body diagram for this thing.
Super Critical Assumption Numero Cuatro: I keep my head as far from my own shit as possible.

Now, I would tend to think that if you're reasonably higher up than the toilet paper holder, you will tend to pull up on the paper. Especially if you want your nostrils as far from the detritus you just blew out of your colon. And I do. I'm not saying I can't tear it in B, of course I can. But the presence of the bar between the paper and the direction my hand is pulling the paper does in fact provide something of a pinch point, which can make it easier to tear the paper. In configuration B, it would require something like holding a pencil against the top of the roll at the point where you're tearing it. Similar to putting a ruler against a fold in a piece of paper when you're trying to tear a straight edge. Does that not make sense?

I'll give you that the friction thing might not make much difference. You might have a difference in leverage arms from the point of contact / rippage, but it's dependent on the technique.

Let's not forget Abraham, Absolution, Angels, Assfucking, Acrolytes, and Ask-Me-Before-You-Tell-Your-Parents...

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62