View Single Post
Old 02-06-2009, 02:18 PM   #24 (permalink)
levite
Minion of Joss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lasereth View Post
I don't think the Big Bad Government would take them to a Super Secret Facility and Torture Them. I think once this person went to a public event and showcased it, this person would be way too popular to be taken away and way too popular to be covered up.

I think it is selfish to let an ability like this that would mean so much to the evolution of our species and our understanding of science go unheard of simply due to being afraid of something that happens in movies.

Why would this guy let you see his ability if he was scared of the Government anyway? Why let you who may be a secret government spy? Who else knows about it? How has no one that he has showed ever spoke up? Why are you even able to talk about this on the un-anonymous Internet if the Government will Napalm everyone's houses that are involved?
The guy involved let me see his ability because he knew I had done some reading on the subject of parapsychology and paranormal phenomena, and we had been friends for a while, and we were both young, and he was concerned about what to do. I actually was the one who calmed him down, and said I thought it very unlikely anyone was actively hunting for such people as him. I would assume anyone else he told kept quiet for the same reasons I did. I would also assume he probably didn't tell very many people.

On the one hand, I would say that it does not pay to be overly paranoid: the likelihood that the government will believe one person on the internet who claims to have witnessed paranormal phenomena nigh on twenty years ago, at the hands of someone he hasn't seen in at least fifteen years, and believe that person so strongly as to come after them with a full Men In Black routine on the off-chance the tip will pan out, seems unlikely to me.

On the other hand, if you really think that governments and powerful institutions are never ruthless or unscrupulous enough to kidnap, torture, utilize, and even kill innocent people in order to possibly gain use of some advantage or asset the person may have-- that those things only "happen in movies"...where have you been the last eight years? Or even the last twenty or thirty?

The bulk of what governments and powerful institutions would do, and would cheerfully hide from view, far outpaces even the ability of internet speculation to contain.
That thing which elemented it.

(From "A Valediction: Forbidding Mourning" by John Donne)

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73