View Single Post
Old 02-06-2009, 08:15 AM   #23 (permalink)
Lasereth
Knight of the Old Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by levite View Post
And I admit, if I had such abilities, I would absolutely keep them secret, especially from governments and scientists. If governments got word about such people-- as I am sure that some have done-- I am certain those individuals would never be heard from again. Off to some secret project at best, I assume, or heinous vivisection facility at worst. Even if it was a respectable scientific institution that found out, such a person's life would be gone forever. They would never have peace again, while scientists fought over the reproducibility of their abilities, and leaked all their private information to the press....

As I mentioned, I don't believe there is any magic involved. And I personally believe that, first of all, it is a person's own choice what they do or do not wish known about themselves, their gifts, or their biology; and second of all, a person's right to live a peaceful, private life is more important than fighting an uphill battle against a society and a scientific institution that are both invested in there being no paranormal phenomena, in order to achieve nebulous goals of attaining scientific knowledge, which, for all we know, could just as easily be discovered some other way.
I don't think the Big Bad Government would take them to a Super Secret Facility and Torture Them. I think once this person went to a public event and showcased it, this person would be way too popular to be taken away and way too popular to be covered up.

I think it is selfish to let an ability like this that would mean so much to the evolution of our species and our understanding of science go unheard of simply due to being afraid of something that happens in movies.

Why would this guy let you see his ability if he was scared of the Government anyway? Why let you who may be a secret government spy? Who else knows about it? How has no one that he has showed ever spoke up? Why are you even able to talk about this on the un-anonymous Internet if the Government will Napalm everyone's houses that are involved?
-----Added 6/2/2009 at 11 : 17 : 08-----
Quote:
Originally Posted by levite View Post
Because we already do so well accepting and not hating or exploiting people we perceive as "different"?
A lot of hate about differences are formed from religion. I don't think the bible says anything about shunning those who have extraordinary miracle type abilities that allow you to move stuff with your mind. If anything this guy would be put on the shoulders of the world and called Jesus.

Last edited by Lasereth; 02-06-2009 at 08:17 AM.. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73