View Single Post
Old 02-04-2009, 12:25 PM   #20 (permalink)
levite
Minion of Joss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lasereth View Post
Why is spoon bending a crock when you say that there are people who exist that can move objects around with their mind?
Perhaps I should have been more specific: spoonbenders are a crock. Generally speaking, the people who claim they have mastered the power to bend spoons, and go about demonstrating it to large paying crowds are tricksters. They have mastered a stage magic trick, and are getting rich off of the people who come to see them. Think about it, they can bend silverware, and that's it? If a person was genuinely telekinetic, they ought to be able, in theory, to affect just about anything. And these people can only affect silverware or silverware-like objects, and only by warping them and not moving them? It makes no sense.

Quote:
I am not attacking you here so sorry if I come off as rude, but this is bullshit.
LOL! Fortunately, I am not the type to take offense, or to care what others think, but I might suggest that this approach will not often be successful! "I don't mean to offend you, but you're full of crap" is pretty much not going to work.

Quote:
If a person -- meaning, the person you experienced -- can move objects short distances by concentrating on them then every science book in the world would have to be rewritten, a good chunk of scientific laws would no longer make sense, and physics would be thrown out the window to be started over. What you're suggest is that "magic" is real, and you almost seem unimpressed by it ("he can only move small objects"). A discovery of this magnitude would change human civilization forever. It would be the biggest scientific discovery in hundreds of years and would bring forward a wealth of knowledge so gigantic that it can't be described. And you NOR this guy are willing to come forward because he doesn't want to become a lab rat?
I seem "unimpressed" because I have believed for a long time that there are phenomena in the world that scientific institutions are disinclined to deal with, because it would be troublesome and chaotic, and that governments are generally well-inclined to assist in the covering up of such phenomena, as doing so aids in their quest to harness and control such things. Finding proof in my personal experience that these things are true is not shocking to me.

I am not suggesting that "magic" is real, but rather that there are certain forms of biologically generated energy that either are not measurable by the current technologies, or are not accurately described by the current theories. I am suggesting that all people probably have some innate ability to channel those energies, but that this ability is especially pronounced in some people more than others. These people can instinctively or consciously focus that energy using their brains in order to achieve certain effects, which differ according to how the ability is pronounced in that person-- probably as a result of differences in brain structure. I think all of this is, in theory, perfectly explainable by scientific means.

And I admit, if I had such abilities, I would absolutely keep them secret, especially from governments and scientists. If governments got word about such people-- as I am sure that some have done-- I am certain those individuals would never be heard from again. Off to some secret project at best, I assume, or heinous vivisection facility at worst. Even if it was a respectable scientific institution that found out, such a person's life would be gone forever. They would never have peace again, while scientists fought over the reproducibility of their abilities, and leaked all their private information to the press....

Quote:
Are you serious?
Quite.

Quote:
I am a twin, and I know that there are no weird twin powers going on here. Yet you say there is a set of twins who can telecommunicate. Again, this is flat out magic, and any success here is worth going into a huge scientific debate over. Yet they haven't came forward and their "secret" is still under wraps.
I didn't say all twins have powers. Or even that a majority of twins do. Only that, as far as I understand the literature of parapsychology, telepathy and functional empathy is found with more frequency amongst twins than amongst non-twins.

Quote:
Help me understand this: you have discovered magical beings who can literally move objects with their mind and neither this person or you feel it's important to society. Why?
As I mentioned, I don't believe there is any magic involved. And I personally believe that, first of all, it is a person's own choice what they do or do not wish known about themselves, their gifts, or their biology; and second of all, a person's right to live a peaceful, private life is more important than fighting an uphill battle against a society and a scientific institution that are both invested in there being no paranormal phenomena, in order to achieve nebulous goals of attaining scientific knowledge, which, for all we know, could just as easily be discovered some other way.
That thing which elemented it.

(From "A Valediction: Forbidding Mourning" by John Donne)

Last edited by levite; 02-04-2009 at 12:27 PM..

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73