View Single Post
Old 12-24-2008, 02:00 PM   #28 (permalink)
soundmotor
Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimshaydee View Post
Thanks for your responses everyone. Montreal is probably going to be a bit cold for my non snow climate living in ass! Those Vegas tips are definitely going to come in handy too.

Anyways, I have a few more questions I hope you lovely people don't mind answering.

How does the ticketing system work for public transport? I heard something about subway tokens in New York

Is Alcatraz worth visiting?

Which is the better option from JFK into Manhattan? I'll be leaving JFK at around 10PM so I don't want to take the subway if I'm carrying luggage. The options are the airport shuttle or taking a cab.
Well, Vegas has been getting snow too recently....... Vegas, I hate it. After going 1-2 times yearly for work over a 20 year period I'm done with it. Tourist business if so off you can find room deals at any hotel however. I like the MGM Grand for simple logistics. Not too far from the airport, many excellent restaurants, decent rooms, and the monorail has a stop inside the hotel. You can access nearly all of the strip via the monorail and a little walking. Old Las Vegas is worth seeing and you'll find cheaper tables there if you gamble. I have not been to the Golden Nugget the last few years but it was redone & not bad the last time I was there. Outside Vegas but close enough to see is the Hoover Dam. An amazing construction still. Lastly, if you are flying into Vegas, at the baggage claim you can also get transportation. There is usually a decent cab line, so take a shuttle. Cost is $5-10 to most hotels on the strip. They are almost never full up as everyone heads to the cab line and there are 3-4 shuttle bus companies at the airport, each with multiple buses.

Montreal is great and worth the visit any time of year snow or not. They have an underground city to explore but the real action is above ground. Rue St. Catherine is bars, restaurants, & shops and the underground runs along it so you can access it anywhere. You can also access the subway and it is very straightforward to use. I have never had a bad experience in Montreal and highly recommend it. I have also heard nothing but raves about Quebec City and hope to visit there too.

Cannot help you on NYC. The few times I've been I always got the same advice, "Whatever you do, don't make eye contact." but didn't find New York any worse than anywhere else I've been. Lots of people going their own way. I stayed in the Times Square area and did not get too far out of it. Had a great time too, much to see. However, it is an easy city to get turned around in. I'll let those who know NYC best offer their expert guidance as the above ain't much.

If you are on a budget, don't feel that you must to tip if the service is poor. Tipping is a reward for exemplary service and not a given. If a waitperson puts in the effort I am grateful and will tip 20+% every time. If they don't do such a hot job and acknowledge it, "I got messed up, it's busy today, and I am having trouble." they would still get 15-20% for their honesty. But, if they phone it in, are surly, or come across that they are doing me a favor, they get 0%. That isn't to teach them a lesson, I could care less how they take it. Don't feel compelled to tip because it is customary here; tip because it was well earned.
-----Added 24/12/2008 at 05 : 13 : 01-----
Quote:
Originally Posted by slimshaydee View Post

Is Alcatraz worth visiting?
Probably although I've never been. I always run out of time before I run out of things to do in SF proper. I have not been in 5 years but it cannot have changed too much since then could it? The last few times I was there I walked it and took the cable cars when I could. Within a reasonable time you could walk to Chinatown, the wharves, Coit Tower, & more in the North Beach area. A short distance north and you could hit Sausalito too. Plenty to do on foot and it was one of the cleanest cities I can recall.

Last edited by soundmotor; 12-24-2008 at 02:13 PM.. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73