View Single Post
Old 06-08-2003, 07:51 PM   #30 (permalink)
guthmund
big damn hero

Quote:
Originally posted by butthead
It was completely accidental (or so from what I can gather) and is no where near the same level of thought as an intentional killing.
Okay, putting aside the close-minded agressive feelings I have, allow me to work through my train of thought on this one.

Bear in mind that I have no statistics to submit, but it seems to me that few killings are intentional. Few people have the ability to murder someone in cold blood. It's always a gun accidently going off, a car careening out of control, a robbery gone wrong, a moment of passion, et cetera. That being said, If I were to kill someone with a gun accidently, run over a group full of kids at school, or kill the local convenience store clerk during a holdup chances are I wouldn't get a "felony endangerment" charge. I would be charged with manslaughter or murder most likely. Just because he happened to spawn the kid, does not entitle him to a lighter sentence when the result is the same.

I don't know if my point came across in that, but it's the best I can I do.

Quote:
originally posted by butthead
Finally, what good will putting him in prison do? Keep a dangerous, merciless killer like him "off the streets"? I'm prepared to hear to a well-thought out, logical argument, so please don't let me down.
No, this is not an issue of "protecting society" on this one. In my opinion, it's more of a "punishment/reabilitate" issue. I don't think this guy should go to prison to protect little children everywhere from this monster I rather think that since he did, in fact, kill a child, either by intent or negligence, then he should have to face the punishment and learn from this mistake. Surely this was an accident, but even accidents have consequences. I'm sure after a few years in an institution he'll be able to make the assumption that hot cars and kids don't mix and he'll never do it again. And even though he feels awfully sorry for killing his own son, I'm sure the guy who accidently kills his wife while cleaning his rifle is awfully sorry as well.

My intent wasn't about vengence, however venom filled it was, it was about equal punishment. This guy took a life. And although the circumstances are special, the fact is he is absent one son today and he is to blame. I'm sure he will never forgive himself for his stupidity, but that realization doesn't bring back his son, or balance out his debt to the justice system.

It sounds logical to me. I hope I didn't let you down

Last edited by guthmund; 06-08-2003 at 07:54 PM..

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73